Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Io, Europa and Callisto perfectly aligned (14/11/23)

Kon

Thanks to David @dweller25for the heads up on the Io, Europa and Callisto alignment this evening, I was able to catch it both visually and with my camera. Visually it was unreal but capturing it between 2016 to 2017 UTC when the three moons were perfectly aligned makes the picture look rather edited; as if i have copy paste the moons on top of each other. Awful seeing with the jetstream but nice to have this event logged. This is a 60s capture to have the moons aligned. I had to reduce the picture size as well to compensate for the bad seeing.

2023-11-14-2016_jup-3moons.png.00303d86d1a96a79785a506d15416b2c.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 19

• Kon changed the title to Io, Europa and Callisto perfectly aligned (14/11/23)
19 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thats brilliant! Raining here in Cheshire once again but great to see the "manual magician" pull another rabbit out of the hat! 👍

Thanks Stuart. The seeing was awful but I just wanted to have the event. I had to push the wavelets almost to their limit to get anything that resembled bands on Jupiter.😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Thanks to David @dweller25for the heads up on the Io, Europa and Callisto alignment this evening, I was able to catch it both visually and with my camera. Visually it was unreal but capturing it between 2016 to 2017 UTC when the three moons were perfectly aligned makes the picture look rather edited; as if i have copy paste the moons on top of each other. Awful seeing with the jetstream but nice to have this event logged. This is a 60s capture to have the moons aligned. I had to reduce the picture size as well to compensate for the bad seeing.

2023-11-14-2016_jup-3moons.png.00303d86d1a96a79785a506d15416b2c.png

Great work Kostas. The seeing was really poor tonight as you said. I had to capture Jupiter earlier in the evening due to visitors. I shot multiple 2 minute captures at 186 FPS which is a good rate for the ASI585MC.I will process them tomorrow and use Astrosurface this time. What should I set the white balance?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Great work Kostas. The seeing was really poor tonight as you said. I had to capture Jupiter earlier in the evening due to visitors. I shot multiple 2 minute captures at 186 FPS which is a good rate for the ASI585MC.I will process them tomorrow and use Astrosurface this time. What should I set the white balance?

Thanks. Looking forward to your images.

I do RGB balance in Registax. I find, in my case, that colour balance in Astrosurface is off. I need to investigate more. I don't put values manually.

• Like 1

That's excellent Kostas, thanks for the heads up about the alignment, but cloud cover here meant that I missed it. I'll put up what I captured a bit later in the evening, but as we discussed the seeing here was awful as well as continuous clouds passing through.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Thanks 1