Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 6/11 first time using IR

yelsac

Totally forgot that i had an IR 850 filter that came with the camera, so thought why not have a go. Actually think I might have got some small detail on Io in the first picture & definately some on Ganymede in the second although the seeing was a lot worse then. Extremely happy to finally get some moon detail.

VX12L, QHY5 462C, IR850, Baader x2.25 Barlow

2023-11-06-2205_0-Capture_07883_pipp_lapl6_ap68_conv-IR-Sat_pipp_lapl6_ap69_conv_WSnew.png.d69686af5ee13c20aaf2bd782ff025eb.png

2023-11-06-2311_8_pipp_lapl6_ap89balpg.png.05435ab71c8cfec58f47da9cce8b03f3.png

• Like 13

Some really nice details coming through these IR images. I like transits with it as you can see the moon that usually gets lost in colour captures due to low contrast. My last few outings with Jupiter have only been possible with an IR as the colour captures are awful. We need a filter that cuts through thick clouds 🤪.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kon said:

Some really nice details coming through these IR images. I like transits with it as you can see the moon that usually gets lost in colour captures due to low contrast. My last few outings with Jupiter have only been possible with an IR as the colour captures are awful. We need a filter that cuts through thick clouds 🤪.

Oh wouldn't that be nice 😁

Thanks for the comment Kostas 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Those have come out very well! Yet to try my QHY ir850 on Jupiter 🙂

Thanks Stuart.

To be honest I've had that filter for over a year & just never thought about using it, I've also got a methane ch4 filter that came with the camera to. I've absolutely no idea where to start with the settings for that one 🥴

3 hours ago, neiil phillips said:

Excellent captures. Worth getting a IR685. As the resolution loss will be less. But you have got a great result no question. Nice scope 

Thanks Neil

Must admit I really love the VX12L, think it's my perfect scope, couldn't really manage anything bigger & the skies on the IOW are awful 😞 

Got the Dob version 2nd hand for viewing & mounted it on Neq6 for the planets, so I've got the best of both worlds.

How are you getting on with your 12" Stella Lyra?

30 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Thanks Stuart.

To be honest I've had that filter for over a year & just never thought about using it, I've also got a methane ch4 filter that came with the camera to. I've absolutely no idea where to start with the settings for that one 🥴

Regarding CH4, Geof @geoflewisand I have been comparing notes. I have tried around 50ms with a histogram of 70% but recently I am working at 95% for my IR so I want to try again. Geof can comment on his settings. I am at 8" and with a very narrow band ch4 of 890 at 10nm. My last attempt I combined 4x2min in Winjupos.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Regarding CH4, Geof @geoflewisand I have been comparing notes. I have tried around 50ms with a histogram of 70% but recently I am working at 95% for my IR so I want to try again. Geof can comment on his settings. I am at 8" and with a very narrow band ch4 of 890 at 10nm. My last attempt I combined 4x2min in Winjupos.

I’m still finding my feet with the CH4. Currently experimenting with 2m at 100ms, which capture speed was suggested to me by one of the Aussie planetary imagers. I’ll try derogating and stacking the TIFFs from a fee SERs and take it from there. I’d like to go faster, maybe  70ms-80ms, but will wait to see how 100ms turns out before changing anything.

Edited by geoflewis

14 hours ago, yelsac said:

Thanks Neil

Must admit I really love the VX12L, think it's my perfect scope, couldn't really manage anything bigger & the skies on the IOW are awful 😞 

Got the Dob version 2nd hand for viewing & mounted it on Neq6 for the planets, so I've got the best of both worlds.

How are you getting on with your 12" Stella Lyra?

Yes doing similar. (dob) Its a cracking scope. My latest images are taken with it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kon said:

Interesting, I'm sure I'll have a go at some point, but thanks for the info Kon 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, geoflewis said:

I’m still finding my feet with the CH4. Currently experimenting with 2m at 100ms, which capture speed was suggested to me by one of the Aussie planetary imagers. I’ll try derogating and stacking the TIFFs from a fee SERs and take it from there. I’d like to go faster, maybe  70ms-80ms, but will wait to see how 100ms turns out before changing anything.

Thanks Geof 👍

Just out of interest what settings do you guys use for ir? I used basically the same for colour images around 5ms but upped the gain to 310 in sharpcap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yelsac said:

Thanks Geof 👍

Just out of interest what settings do you guys use for ir? I used basically the same for colour images around 5ms but upped the gain to 310 in sharpcap. 

I'm using the same capture speed for IR as colour. I have auto histogram set at 85% for both, so gain will be a little different, but otherwise it's the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1