Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 tripod fixing hole threads stripped

tooth_dr

I was attaching a recently purchased used NEQ6 to my pier last night but wasn’t able to tighten it to the metal plate, the bolt kept turning and wouldn’t tighten.  I had a look and the thread are all destroyed.  I was able to catch a few threads at the top using a longer threaded bar.  Would there be any harm is rethreading this as M14x1.5? Or try an M12 helicoil repair kit?

IMG_7208.jpeg

IMG_7211.jpeg

IMG_7207.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mandy D said:

@tooth_dr I would go with the helicoil. They are designed for exactly this type of problem and provide a stronger thread than the original aluminium. Plus, it will keep the equipment standard.

Cheers Mandy. Originality isn’t high on the list at this stage 😂

1 hour ago, Mick J said:

Is there a way to enter a bolt from the top, nut & washer under fixing plate ?  needs to be a more permanent mounting.

I had a look and thought about it, but it’s not really practical, the altitude bolts are in that area.

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

Helicoil will work, but you will have to drill out to the next size up and tap, to fit that in anyway…👍🏻

This is true, but the helicoil taps aren’t the same as conventional taps, so it’s one or the other.

16 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

given the state of the hole you might find that a M14 tap will go in without drilling out. My experience of the mount material is that it is pretty soft and cut's easily.

I would think you are correct. Having owned an eq6 for several years, steel bolts don’t be long stripping aluminium threads on these mount, it’s like butter. 

• Like 1