Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with Io transiting the GRS and Ganymede on the side (30/10/23)

Kon

A quick capture  before the arrival of the Storm Ciarán and after a long drive from the Lake District, last night. Awful seeing but I was pleasantly surprised to have Io transiting over the GRS (Io is showing as the yellowish spot next to its shadow)). Ganymede is on the side; I was hoping to capture its disappearance by Jupiter's shadow. My usual 8" Dob. 

2023-10-30-2223_0-Jupiter_pipp_lapl8_ap130.png.454f95c7865d5778ca3f9caca3657598.png

• Like 16

Hope you had a good weekend in the lake District Kostas 🙂

Oddly enough I was only thinking the other day I hadn't seen a transit shadow over the GRS for a long time! Well captured! Not great seeing but a very interesting record of those quirky transits that make Jupiter so special.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, yelsac said:

Love that fact you even got clear detail on Ganymede with bad seeing, fantastic 👍

Thanks. It's a shame that we are missing such events due to bad weather.

4 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Hope you had a good weekend in the lake District Kostas 🙂

Oddly enough I was only thinking the other day I hadn't seen a transit shadow over the GRS for a long time! Well captured! Not great seeing but a very interesting record of those quirky transits that make Jupiter so special.

We did, thank you; the weather was fine for the hikes in the morning but pouring with rain at night.

I wanted to capture the transit over the GRS but the clouds had a different idea. As you said, good for the record.  It looks we will be missing the opposition in typical British fashion this week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...