Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you use a MAK for white light

Assuming you take all the necessary safety precautions: i.e. checking the solar filter before and every use for defects such as scratches, pin-pricks, rips, tears, etc., you should be ok. Bear in mind that all catadioptric 'scopes are sealed short tubes, it may get a little warm.

I tend to use a refractor and a solar-wedge and sometimes the wedge gets warm during use. [image below].

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

Remember to cover or remove the finderscope and/or RDF if fitted too!

Hi well I tried it and could not focus ? , I popped in a extension then you could just make out a Sun spot but still would not focus , I know it was not bad seeing as my HA telescope was focused ok , so do I need more extensions ?

When looking at focus issues in general I try to do it in daylight, looking at a horizon or distant object.
Far easier than fumbling in the dark, or squinting at a bright sun.

Gradually back away from the scope, holding the eyepiece on axis, as if using a long extension tube.
That gives you a good indication of what length extension tubes may be required.

If you have the opposite problem, depending on the eyepeice, you can sometimes remove the bottom part.
That sometimes gets a few more millimetres into the eyepiece holder.

With any scope, using the above with and without a diagonal may help establish what is going on.
Scopes that come with a diagonal often focus well away from the tube when the diagonal is omitted.

HTH, David.

5 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi well I tried it and could not focus ? , I popped in a extension then you could just make out a Sun spot but still would not focus , I know it was not bad seeing as my HA telescope was focused ok , so do I need more extensions ?

The focus point for the sun should be almost the same as for the moon etc. The only difference in the optical chain is the filter and I wouldn’t have thought it would make that much difference. Have you tried the filter with other scopes? How much did the focus point move with those?

Maks generally have a massive range of focus, so I'd be surprised if you need any extensions at all, unless you are using an external crayford or similar? Personally I'd say remove any extensions and as above try focusing on a distant object using the built in focuser first if an external is fitted. I have a helical on the back of my 127  but always use the internal focuser to get in the ball park first