NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 460 Disconnecting Problem

kirkster501

Hello,

Been having a intermittent issue with my 460EX.  I start imaging and randomly after maybe an hour or more, the camera disconnects.  Sometimes I cannot connect at the start of the imaging session and have to power on and off a few times before it will connect.

I cannot determine if it is a camera problem or a PC driver issue.  I hope the latter since I have built a new imaging PC.  That said, the camera is now of a venerable vintage - 2012 I bought it - but it is still superb paired to the TEC140 and I see no need to update it.  You can still even buy these cameras they are so good still.

I have installed the drivers from the Atik All-in-1 driver pack "SetupAtikCamerasUniversal-2023.07.14" so they are recent and up to date.  Windows 10 and all up to date.

However, when I look at the driver in device manager it states driver 4.1.0.1

Atik-SJK.JPG.23d2b877f59066172d00b2c4f7304d53.JPG

According to Atik website

Change Log - Atik Cameras (atik-cameras.com)

the latest driver is at least 4.2.2.9.  How can I get this latest driver - which I thought would have been installed in the last driver pack?  Where do I see this installed DLLs and ASCOM versions?

What is making me worry a bit that it might be hardware is that I get the same problem with the native driver and also the ASCOM driver.

Any thoughts please guys?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, I know it's obvious but have you tried changing your usb lead, I've changed a couple this year and supposedly good quality ones too. Also, a while back I had issues with my Atik 460 not connecting and had to change usb ports, although the original usb port connected to other equipment.

Steve

• Like 1

HI Steve, thanks for the suggestion, yes mate  changed the cable and tried it on different ports of the quality Startech USB hub atop the mount.  It has been working happily like this for ten years though and the hub is fine with everything else still.  Next thing to try is to connect the camera direct to the PC and not via the USB hub.  I also wiped the drivers.  Rebooted and reinstalled them.  I've got the camera taking BIAS and darks now and been working for 2 hours so far.  I am not convinced though!

Edited by kirkster501

Going direct to the PC would be my suggestion. I have an Atik EFW2 which sometimes fails to connect from the scope via the hub. My fix is to bring it into the warm room, connect it direct to the laptop, which always works, then progressively move it back out to the scope, lead by lead, until it is back on the hub once more. It will then work fine until I get another weather lay off, whereupon it might fail to connect again. I could change the leads and hub, but all the other kit works fine, I guess I will have to find the root cause when my fix ceases to work.

• Like 1

I upgraded to Windows 11.  I am now getting a crash of NINA when I take a sub with the Atik, even Artemis (Atik capture software) is having a wobble.  I need to investigate more - at least a firm crash is something to work with whereas a disconnect after a few hours is a nightmare.  I was also getting a peer collision last night for no apparent reason as well when I tried to use my FSQ rig side mounted.  So frustrating; we wait for months for a few clear skies and when we get them sometimes we have issue after issue.  I will get some longer USB leads and wire directly back to the PC ports.

Some good tips here too such as USB power down, USB controller issues etc:

What to Do If Your USB Port Stops Working (pcmag.com)