Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spikes or Rubber feet?

Fraunhoffer

Slightly odd question that is a hangover from my previous hi-fi days. It was said that spikes helped control vibration. Eg speakers and turntables had spikey feet. (Did wonders for the furniture). I note that some high end gear still has spikes.

So, should tripod feet be spikes or rubber blobs do you think ?

I prefer spikes. Rubber feet always seem to allow a bit of movement, but with spikes the tripod feel more solid. I mainly observe on grass so I dig the feet of the tripod in and that makes it super solid. The Berlebach tripods I use have little foot plates which allow you to push the spikes in more easily.

IMG_3023.png

• Like 1

I agree with Stu and Mr Spock! In particular on grass or soft ground, spikes are more stable from my experience. But even on a hard surface (paving slabs, concrete, etc) I prefer spikes. 

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 1

I would also recommend spikes. I’ve directly compared Berlebach spikes vs rubber feet on a hard packed stoney surface where the top cm or so allows a spike to penetrate. I would have liked rubber feet to “win” as it makes storing the tripod at home a little bit floor friendlier but spikes were definitely better. Not a night and day difference but not insignificant either. That is on a heavily loaded Planet. 

• Like 1

If I remember, spikes on grass, hard plastic tips on concrete though I'm not strict about this. 

I have used vibration suppression pads (Meade ones I think) and they did make a bit of different to vibration dampening times. I have better tripods these days though which seem more impervious to vibrations.

• Like 1

Rubber feet for me, even on grass. With my 8” Newt on a skytee2 atop Berlebach’s narrowest Uni tripod on sloping grass I’ve not had any problem. My Planet, AZ-EQ6 and 21kg 12” Newt plus counterweights are also fine. Which is a relief, as my utility room has a rather soft concrete floor and the spikes dig holes in it.

Magnus

• Like 1