Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter under very good seeing but awful transparency (10/10/23)

Kon

The weather has been atrocious recently and I had not been out at night in a while. Despite the lingering thin clouds, Jupiter looked exceptionally stable. I am surprised on the amount of details that I managed in colour. The IR looked pretty excellent during the captures. If it weren't for the clouds, it would have been one of the best sessions.  8" Dob, manual, asi 462mc and 462mm, 2.5x TV powermate, UV/IR cut or IR pass.

jupiter-good100923.png.56832eb650fd80c9227edfdaaa5ae866.png jupiter-good-ir100923.png.7d28729e544bbad1a98f4c055bec3dec.png

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice looking images. I like the detail changes between the visual and IR.

I'm always impressed how you get such good images with a 200 manual Dob!

Thanks Michael. Yes the IR is revealing some nice additional details. I like pushing the Dob to its limits. Having the new dual speed focuser really helped last night too.

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice results. I have often found thin hazy cloud often coincides with very stable conditions, suitable for planetary imaging.

Thanks Michael. I was rather surprised how stable it looked through the haze. Even my Saturn that I will process later looked very good for the low elevation (in IR).

3 hours ago, siatnite said:

Not bad for the conditions, i took one look last night & never botherd been caught out to many times now 😉.

Thanks Simon. I was not planning to get out but I blame Geof @geoflewis after our chat who said we may have a clear window....that never materialised😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

That's a shame the thin cloud has flattened out the detail. You can see it would have been a ripper otherwise.

Absolutely. I was really surprised how still it was compared to my Venus the day earlier. I could see histogram jumping all over the place from the passing clouds and  this was the only capture that had consistent seeing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Very nice Kostas.

I tried and failed, as the cloud was just too thick for me to see what I was focussing on. There were very brief glimses of what promised to be stable seeing, but after about 90 mins of failure I gave up...:sad2:

Thanks Geof and for also probing me to get out last night. Interesting, seeing on my side was extremely stable ruined just by the clouds. In this capture I could see some details coming through in the live capture. Seeing became very unstable around 1 or so with incoming cooler front and wind.

• Like 1