Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Annular Solar Eclipse - North America - 2023 OCT 14

CentaurZ

An annular solar eclipse will be visible throughout a swath of North America on 2023 OCT 14. Observers in a much wider portion of the continent will be able to witness a partial solar eclipse.

Take extra-special precautions to protect your eyes, or preferably watch simulcasts online.

Below are my renderings of the eclipse for Albuquerque, San Antonio, and Chicago.

EclipseA-Albuquerque.JPG.2d692d024a27faa1ab9f6db6b9ecb156.JPGEclipseA-San-Antonio.JPG.6563daa3a7d4b4af1a7fa9b6f7ce890a.JPGEclipseA-Chicago.JPG.79b626e81a8ce15b55707b505c8c9109.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ

I have already put in time off and plan to be in the San Antonio area. 

From my daughters home, it's 15 hours of driving.

Looks to be SWMBO, my oldest daughter and myself.

I just hope the weather cooperates!

I don't know if timing will allow for it, but I would love to run another 4 hours south after the eclipse, to Boca Chica for a glimpse of E. Musk's big toy.

• Like 2

Will be the last day in Vegas for the Mrs and I, not sure I wanted to be up early on the day of travelling back home but needs must! I'm going to try to source some solar film, possibly stop at one of the LA astro shops, so I can get a view through my new binos 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at my daughter's planning on leaving at 3am in the morning to do a 1000 mile mad dash.

Google says 15 hours.

Weather is going to be really close with the cloud line right in the area.

But I'm thinking is going to be fine.

Faith in the force one must have!!

20 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Faith in the force one must have!!

And it will come.....! :D

On May 31st 2003 we had the same sort of forecast but I still got out of bed at 3am and drove for an hour to the Northern most point of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, a place called The Butt of Lewis, in the hope of seeing the only Annular Eclipse I'm likely to see in my lifetime.

As dawn broke, there were a couple of hundred people there and we all knew the eclipse had started and we were clouded in.

But we waited, and the Force was strong that morning, for as we watched in hope, it appeared through the cloud, only about 20° above the horizon, but it was visible and there was a audible gasp from those assembled. 

eclipse01.jpg.db4ef59ae7a0ecc2f7f0192cd0451f83.jpg

And as we watched, the clouds parted, just long enough for us to witness a spectacle that will live with me for the rest of my days. 

We were the only place in the UK to have clear enough skies to be able to see the eclipse that morning and I captured the event with my old 35mm Pentax P30T camera, on a tripod, with no solar film over the lens.

eclipse02.jpg.761ad6db32daaafa8f74b55714369c72.jpg eclipse03.jpg.ca7b7135f7de45ad9b7b4fc01ed5bac7.jpg eclipse04.jpg.9940be1b6e7a3eace31362e6ce5b8173.jpg

I hope you get to witness the sight and enjoy it.

And I want to see the photos! :D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

And it will come.....! :D

On May 31st 2003 we had the same sort of forecast but I still got out of bed at 3am and drove for an hour to the Northern most point of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, a place called The Butt of Lewis, in the hope of seeing the only Annular Eclipse I'm likely to see in my lifetime.

As dawn broke, there were a couple of hundred people there and we all knew the eclipse had started and we were clouded in.

But we waited, and the Force was strong that morning, for as we watched in hope, it appeared through the cloud, only about 20° above the horizon, but it was visible and there was a audible gasp from those assembled. 

eclipse01.jpg.db4ef59ae7a0ecc2f7f0192cd0451f83.jpg

And as we watched, the clouds parted, just long enough for us to witness a spectacle that will live with me for the rest of my days. 

We were the only place in the UK to have clear enough skies to be able to see the eclipse that morning and I captured the event with my old 35mm Pentax P30T camera, on a tripod, with no solar film over the lens.

eclipse02.jpg.761ad6db32daaafa8f74b55714369c72.jpg eclipse03.jpg.ca7b7135f7de45ad9b7b4fc01ed5bac7.jpg eclipse04.jpg.9940be1b6e7a3eace31362e6ce5b8173.jpg

I hope you get to witness the sight and enjoy it.

And I want to see the photos! :D

That is beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1