NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair 150EDF FPL53 Doublet experience?

GTom

Title says everything: one of the most affordable 150mm APO is the Altair 150EDF. I suspect (don't know for sure), the optical formula is the same as the TS Photoline 150/1200 doublet. Latter shown impressive results, even with lrgb filters opening in deep blue, below 400nm, eg.: 

https://www.astrobin.com/full/s9okh1/0/

I was wondering, may we expect the same, practically impeccable quality from the Altair as well?

Sounds impressive, and at a very competitive price too at around half the price of the Esprit 150 (and lighter too), and less than 20% of the price of a premium 6in Refractor such as the Tak TOA 150, or TEC 160.

I think that it is very similar (if not identical) to the TS 150 

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 10:52, johnturley said:

Sounds impressive, and at a very competitive price too at around half the price of the Esprit 150 (and lighter too), and less than 20% of the price of a premium 6in Refractor such as the Tak TOA 150, or TEC 160.

I think that it is very similar (if not identical) to the TS 150 

John 

I have that feeling too. Asked Altair, but they are NDA-bound to share specific details about the optical formula. IF identical to the TS (FPL53 + Lanthanum) then it is as good as a triplet and best-buy candidate. Unfortunately no glass or design CA-plot is available, someone has to try it with a wide-band L1 type luminosity filter.

3 minutes ago, GTom said:

I have that feeling too. Asked Altair, but they are NDA-bound to share specific details about the optical formula. IF identical to the TS (FPL53 + Lanthanum) then it is as good as a triplet and best-buy candidate. Unfortunately no glass or design CA-plot is available, someone has to try it with a wide-band L1 type luminosity filter.

It's not just about the glass used. The figuring, polishing, coatings and objective cell design all play important roles in how well the finished objective actually performs. The glass types are not the whole story.

• Like 4

By the looks of things, almost certainly the same (or very nearly) as the TS version. I have the TS 102ED which is the same as the Starfield, and also the Altair Starwave 102ED-R. 

@FLO any chance there might be a Starfield 150 at some point?

• Like 1