Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45 with terrible sensor

Rodd

An otherwise decent image ruined by halos.  I really need to get a new camera.  h...and that is a huge expense.  I guess, in the end, it is not sustainable one way or the other.  But.....too soon.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and asi 1600.  About 27 hours LRGB

bO_3SkeSbotE_16536x0_ieTZ0INm.thumb.jpg.61aa179d3640529582cc1d69cc09f607.jpg

• Like 3

They are rather obvious. It's a pity ones in the nebula, otherwise you could have done star removal and cloned them out.

I had some issues with Baader nb filters, they're around 2012 vintage. Excuse my processing, I need to do some Pixinsight on it!

IMG_0948.png

40 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You may have your standard but I am not in the least bit bothered by these halos, as much as I am not bothered by diffraction spikes.

I don’t care for difraction spikes, but they are understandable. They are not a defect. They are a product of telescope design.  Halos are a defect. 

• Like 1

I find the uniformity of those haloes pleasing to look at.  They dont detract from the image at all imho.  But the latest IMX571 sensors are amazing, and the 1600 has been out a while.  It's clear that AP is something you do a lot so it might be worth the investment in a new camera.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I find the uniformity of those haloes pleasing to look at.  They dont detract from the image at all imho.  But the latest IMX571 sensors are amazing, and the 1600 has been out a while.  It's clear that AP is something you do a lot so it might be worth the investment in a new camera.

Thanks Doc.  I am pleased with thd nebula, so the halos don’t ruin it for me. But they still annoy me

• Like 1

3 hours ago, windjammer said:

A dose of the 'inpaint' tool in Affinity Photo could help a lot there, if you don't mind cosmetic 'adjustments'.  A lovely image BTW.  I find processing of the star mask is almost harder than the nebula stuff itself.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Yes stag masks are tough. These days I just remove all the stars with star exterminator. Then put them back. I never could get perfect star masks 

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Lots to enjoy in the image, particularly the extended red emission, but the halos would bug me, too.

Olly

One day I will get a new camera--provided my mount can be fixed.  The price of the 2600s are coming down.  Any larger than that and I would need new filtrers, which would make it undoable.

• Like 1

Are you sure it is camera issue? It looks like typical reflection from filter - too close to the sensor or foulty.

A couple years ago I had similar problem with Baader OIII filter:

5 x 1200s, Sbig ST2000XM

Sh2-162-OIII.jpg.126d127bf8a46dcb176ad3d188fdd576.jpg

I was able to remove halo from the star in PS, but it was annoying:

Browser.jpg.4abce8b43843d6a0abc1c96bf5b9b27a.jpg

Do you have halos when you are not using any filter, or only on particular filter/filters?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FunkyKoval35 said:

Do you have halos when you are not using any filter, or only on particular filter/filters?

Wow-you really removed it well.  Who knows.  I use Astrodon filters.  I am not going to start trying new filter wheels or filters.  If the fuilters are too far or too close, that is a byproduct of crappy design of the camera or filter wheel--same manufactuerer.Maybe its sky conditions, which always such.  But the sensor does have diffraction patterns around bvright stars when I shoot at a longer focal length.

8 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Wow-you really removed it well.  Who knows.  I use Astrodon filters.  I am not going to start trying new filter wheels or filters.  If the fuilters are too far or too close, that is a byproduct of crappy design of the camera or filter wheel--same manufactuerer.Maybe its sky conditions, which always such.  But the sensor does have diffraction patterns around bvright stars when I shoot at a longer focal length.

The simplest way to check where is the problem is to take a few shots without any filter. If halos will disappear then you will know that it is not problem with your camera. Also, you can check if protective glass in your camera is clean.

BTW. Nice picture :)

Edited by FunkyKoval35

1 hour ago, FunkyKoval35 said:

The simplest way to check where is the problem is to take a few shots without any filter. If halos will disappear then you will know that it is not problem with your camera. Also, you can check if protective glass in your camera is clean.

BTW. Nice picture :)

Glass is clean. I don’t have any open filter spaces.  Not going to disassemble everything. 

Great image but agree the halos are distracting. As previously mentioned this may not be a camera/sensor issue so just changing the camera without diagnosing or ruling out other possibilities could be an expensive and futile mistake.

2 hours ago, PhilB61 said:

Great image but agree the halos are distracting. As previously mentioned this may not be a camera/sensor issue so just changing the camera without diagnosing or ruling out other possibilities could be an expensive and futile mistake.

True. But I need one anyway.  The sensor has other issues.  It’s probably my sky

On 27/09/2023 at 04:07, PhilB61 said:

Truye--but I need one anyway--I must move up to the 2600 for many other reasons