Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The lone tree at Green Lane Delabole

A brief clear spell last week led me to dash out to a place with a very low northern horizon and I have always spotted this tree/bush and thought the loneliness of it would make a nice Nightscape and with Ursa Major flying over would give some visual to the sky. There were faint colours of Aurora low down before the dew built up quite a lot and the clouds fully descended. 

I light painted the tree with my head torch 4sec @3200iso and the sky was 10x13secs at 3200iso too.

Taken with Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm f2.8. 

Processed in Sequator then photoshop. 

Lee Green-Lane-Lone-Tree-14-9-23.-brighten-under-treejpg-01.thumb.jpeg.b9c08c558d6043bbe0b2774d71030417.jpeg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 15

8 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Nicely done, Lee!! Love the way the Plough stands out so we’ll. Quiye envious of your lone tree - all mine seem to have friends!

Thank you Paul. I wasn't quite sure of this process. I do like the colours of the stars in the plough and the double star Mizar. 

I have always seen this tree on the way back from the better views at Green Lane and thought, I'd love to try nightscaping it. I expect it's the only decent lone tree without LP in the village. 

I tried your tip of breathing on the lens to create a star glow but in my idiocity I just dewed it up even with a few heater. 😂I'll try again. 

Hope you are well and you've been out and about with your camera 🙏

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I tried your tip of breathing on the lens to create a star glow but in my idiocity I just dewed it up even with a few heater. 😂I'll try again. 

Hope you are well and you've been out and about with your camera 🙏

Oh dear!  It's definitely not a fail-safe method - I probably should have flagged that! 😂

Managed to get out earlier this week and hopefully will have a write-up and video out in the next few days - just juggling with work travel and the like, but will hopefully have it done before the weekend. 😊

• Like 1

That's really nice!

Other than The Plough, I was also drawn to Bootes. It's there in all its glory! I remember Bootes as one of the larger, faint constellations that was easily recognisable as a boy. These days I rarely get to see it all from a dark site.

You captured it just perfectly. Not an over busy image that would otherwise drown the constellation.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Oh dear!  It's definitely not a fail-safe method - I probably should have flagged that! 😂

Managed to get out earlier this week and hopefully will have a write-up and video out in the next few days - just juggling with work travel and the like, but will hopefully have it done before the weekend. 😊

Don't worry Paul I'm an idiot and probably went to husky and hot on the lens 😂.

That's great to hear you've been out this week with your dslr this week, maybe Auroa captures? It'll be worth the wait you just do it in your own time and pace. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

11 hours ago, Paul M said:

That's really nice!

Other than The Plough, I was also drawn to Bootes. It's there in all its glory! I remember Bootes as one of the larger, faint constellations that was easily recognisable as a boy. These days I rarely get to see it all from a dark site.

You captured it just perfectly. Not an over busy image that would otherwise drown the constellation.

Thank you Paul that's very kind. I'm pleased you like Booted in the image. Like you say I didn't want to over busy the sky to much as it is mainly the tree and plough I was keeping a eyecatchers and now with Booted spotted. You don't think the image is a bit dark as I'm having trouble on various devices? 

Lee

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

You don't think the image is a bit dark as I'm having trouble on various devices? 

I hadn't really noticed to be honest, but you've already posted a lightened version, which I'd agree is an improvement.

Nice to see simple and well executed constellation images. 

These days a lot of folk seem to refer to some constellations in terms of their brightest DSO; "Triangulum" for M33, "Andromeda" for M31 and, well I thought the list was longer... 😁

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paul M said:

I hadn't really noticed to be honest, but you've already posted a lightened version, which I'd agree is an improvement.

Nice to see simple and well executed constellation images. 

These days a lot of folk seem to refer to some constellations in terms of their brightest DSO; "Triangulum" for M33, "Andromeda" for M31 and, well I thought the list was longer... 😁

Thank you, it's much appreciated and I'm pleased you like the image too. 

Clear skies 

Hi Lee,

Just to let you know I've looked at this on three different devices ranging from an ancient laptop screen to an OLED screen and they are definitely " Dark "

Now this is a mere suggestion and you are, of course, at liberty to ignore 😱 but I feel you'd produce a better foreground impression if you got in much closer to the tree. The sky stays pretty much the same and the tree would be easier to light. In fact if you're not careful you could over light it.

If it's on private land or surrounded by a bog then it may be slightly difficult !

Dave.

• Thanks 1

On 23/09/2023 at 14:33, davew said:

Hi Lee,

Just to let you know I've looked at this on three different devices ranging from an ancient laptop screen to an OLED screen and they are definitely " Dark "

Now this is a mere suggestion and you are, of course, at liberty to ignore 😱 but I feel you'd produce a better foreground impression if you got in much closer to the tree. The sky stays pretty much the same and the tree would be easier to light. In fact if you're not careful you could over light it.

If it's on private land or surrounded by a bog then it may be slightly difficult !

Dave.

Thank you Dave, that was good of you to try it on 3 different screens. I shall try your advice and take a closer shot of the lone tree next time or when it's next dry and not blowing a hoolsy as is at the moment. 

Thank you again. 

Lee 

• Like 1