Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What was your best astronomy bargain?

I've had a few "best" astro bargains. I suppose the greatest bargain was when I part exchanged my first Takahashi FS128 for a FS152. When I bought my FC100DC from TruTek I was given a sizeable discount, and another sizeable discount when I bought a FC100DZ. But in terms of bang for buck I'd have to say the three SW 120ED's I've owned, two of which were Equinox, have to be the best as each cost significantly less than £1000.

• Like 3

My docter was sold second hand at a honest price at the time, but the same price became a crazy bargain some years later following the new sky reaching cost of this eyepiece.

My glatter collimation was bought new when Howie Glatter was still alive and it was way more affordable than the current cost (despite the design being the same!).

Years ago I bought a s/h 30mm ES 82 deg and I consider it a bargain for what it offered.

My TAL 2M that I bought off Ebay recently cost £90 which I thought was cheap. The plywood cases would probably cost more that that if you bought them new.

( Yes it cost me £40 in fuel to go and get it but using man-maths I'm rounding that down to "about £100 all in" :) )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_D said:

My TAL 2M that I bought off Ebay recently cost £90 which I thought was cheap. The plywood cases would probably cost more that that if you bought them new.

( Yes it cost me £40 in fuel to go and get it but using man-maths I'm rounding that down to "about £100 all in" :) )

You need to subtract the cost of the case from the telescope then so basically you got the scope for free!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mine was a Skywatcher 114/1000 scope and mount for £6.50 from eBay. Seller was local so couldn't resist. Not the best scope in the world but it was enough to rekindle my interest and I've since upgraded but I'll always be glad I bought it.

• Like 2

Would it really be fair to say FREE! As after my friend and scope dealer passed away I was bequeathed nearly his entire stock and personal equipment, including a paramount ME!

I had to sell it simply because I’m not iron man and I live in a first floor flat, with communal gardens.

Other than free, my Takahashi fs78.

chaz

• Like 3

On the used market: Got a AZEQ6 GTI for £650 and sold my HEQ5 for £650 to buy it. Free upgrade. 

I got my ASI1600mmpro for only £1025 new in the Christmas sale back in 2018. 

I paid 'only' 250 for my Astrodons months before they doubled in price too. 

Adam