Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A dobsonian mount for an existing OTA?

Breakintheclouds

@Breakintheclouds you can always build your own. I'm considering making one for my 300PDS, using a pair of tube rings and two Losmandy dovetails to carry the pivots on with a "lazy Susan" bearing for the Az.

Have a look at the stunning Dobsonian mount that @PeterStudz has built. I'm sure he'd be happy to share some info.

• Like 1

The Orion Optics mount that vlaiv mentioned is probably the Rolls Royce of Dob mounts.  It's all aluminium so won't rot or need maintenance.  It's also very smooth, very lightweight and has a small footprint.  The design means your telescope tube can be rotated and moved up and down for balance.  I wouldn't part with mine.  The only downside is that it's expensive.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2023 at 14:58, Breakintheclouds said:

Hello everyone

I have a 250mm Newtonian OTA that is kind of sitting idle. I'd love to mount it as a dobsonian for quick observing sessions, but I'm struggling to find a suitable mount. Does anybody know whether it's possible to buy a mount that might hold my scope?

You could advertise for one, some people end up remounting dob scopes onto some other mount leaving the dob base unused in the garage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I also have one and agree with the good features. As well as the downside of the price, it doesn't really look like a Dobsonian.    🙂

I've used this one when it was on loan to another TAC member.  I agree, it performed very well.

• Like 2