Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to use SkySafari with a GOTO mount?

PeterC65

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

If I can find an appropriate email to use I'm emailing skywatcher to let them know I could not use 140 ascom driver with the dongle and I'm optimistic for a fix

I have previously had fast responses from app@skywatchertelescope.net, about different issues

• Thanks 1

Hi

My AZ Gtix, seems to get ahead of the target slightly. Phd2 is not compatible. Does SkySafari help with better tracking? I would hate to splash the cash and end up with same problem.

I have tried different payloads, Star Trave 120, Meade 105 ETX and just a basic camera, same result each time, so I'm sure it's nothing to do with the payload or balance.

Cheers

2 hours ago, SkyPhil said:

Hi

My AZ Gtix, seems to get ahead of the target slightly. Phd2 is not compatible. Does SkySafari help with better tracking? I would hate to splash the cash and end up with same problem.

I have tried different payloads, Star Trave 120, Meade 105 ETX and just a basic camera, same result each time, so I'm sure it's nothing to do with the payload or balance.

Cheers

Guiding (Phd2) and goto (Synscan handset/app/SkySafari) are different things. Guiding requires a second smaller telescope and dedicated guide camera to make continual adjustments to the motion of the mount to keep the target centred. Goto sends the mount to the required target based upon the location/date/time inputted into the handset or from the mobile device, after which the mount is left to its own devices to move at 15/hr until another goto command is sent to the mount by the operator. Goto is quite dumb in this respect, it points the mount at where it believes the target is based on the information but doesn't know if the target is where the mount is really pointing. The tracking problem could be due to either bad balance or a problem with the mount.

I've had feedback to my emailand was suggested to do the following as connections had all worked fine with 140 as the various firmwares in running with;

'recommend to check the setting of the Scan App Driver for ASCOM, you may try to uncheck the “Search devices when connecting” and enter the IP address that runs the SynScan Pro application.'

I'll give it a try with 140 with the above added to the below step 4

Edit: using ascom 130 driver this is note to me for order to connect using synscan dongle 1- connect pc wifi 2- connect mobile wifi 3- start  mobile app and connect 4- start ascom and connect 5- start phd2 and connect mount etc. 6-sharpcap and connect 7- start stellarium and connect 

Edited Wednesday at 

Edited by happy-kat

now tested with ascom driver 140 

order connected using synscan dongle

1- connect pc wifi

telescope was facing north level and horizontal, turn on az-gti

2- connect mobile wifi

3- start mobile synscan pro app and connect

I did a one star alignment

4- start ascom and connect

5- start phd2 and connect mount etc.

6-sharpcap and connect