NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter GRS Sept 4th 2023

Space Cowboy

Very nice image Stuart. Nice details despite the conditions. I suffered from a thin cloudy haze, although Jovial moos looked sharp, Jupiter was hard to get good focus. I need to go through my captures later tonight.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kon said:

Very nice image Stuart. Nice details despite the conditions. I suffered from a thin cloudy haze, although Jovial moos looked sharp, Jupiter was hard to get good focus. I need to go through my captures later tonight.

Thanks Kostas. Trans wasn't great for me either and as you say it was difficult to focus.  I had high hopes after working on collimation but seeing is always king and if that doesn't cooperate it's hard work getting anything decent. 

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Kostas. Trans wasn't great for me either and as you say it was difficult to focus.  I had high hopes after working on collimation but seeing is always king and if that doesn't cooperate it's hard work getting anything decent. 

Yes frustrating, especially the forecast was good. The rest of the week might be ok (I am giving it a miss as I need a good rest 🤪)

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Yes frustrating, especially the forecast was good. The rest of the week might be ok (I am giving it a miss as I need a good rest 🤪)

I'm hopeless on these early morning sessions, like a zombie. It's highly likely the secondary was misting up but never gave it a thought until later.🙄

6 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

I'm hopeless on these early morning sessions, like a zombie. It's highly likely the secondary was misting up but never gave it a thought until later.🙄

I had my 8 inch LX10 out  for a  run  last night, trying out a new SVBony zoom.  The sky was crystal clear up here. However, I spent 3  hours taking captures with AstroDMX of  both, moon and Jupiter and, to my dismay,  I find out this morning that I saved none of them! AstroDMX was also crashing during captures though not all the time. Anyhow, that  was off topic. Fantastic views last night.

2 hours ago, Mark2022 said:

I had my 8 inch LX10 out  for a  run  last night, trying out a new SVBony zoom.  The sky was crystal clear up here. However, I spent 3  hours taking captures with AstroDMX of  both, moon and Jupiter and, to my dismay,  I find out this morning that I saved none of them! AstroDMX was also crashing during captures though not all the time. Anyhow, that  was off topic. Fantastic views last night.

Rule no. 1 is always to check it's being saved to your drive 🙂

The QHY585 was constantly freezing during captures which is something that has gradually gotten worse. I probably need to clean up my registry files.

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Rule no. 1 is always to check it's being saved to your drive 🙂

The QHY585 was constantly freezing during captures which is something that has gradually gotten worse. I probably need to clean up my registry files.

Possible bad connection to the laptop or was  FC stopping?

1 hour ago, Ibbo! said:

I had to do a fresh download and install of FC last night this morning as the cam even when connected was playing silly B's.

Hmmm......wonder if its something to do with the latest version. I've only had the problem since using it.

34 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Hmmm......wonder if its something to do with the latest version. I've only had the problem since using it.

I will see what happens tonight and if it plays up I will go back to 2.6 for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

Well done Stuart you're derotated image is definetly better to my eyes. It was a very strange imaging session as I found the higher jupiter climbed the worse the transparacy was I put it down to thin high cloud.

Cheers Martyn! Ive never had much luck getting good seeing on the GRS. I think 2011 was the last time that happened.

21 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Another derotation of over 11 mins. Used unsharp mask on this as an experiment :

Nice and it seems that you have pulled more details next to the GRS but I wonder how the 11min would look with your normal approach. I found with my recent Jupiter images, a tiny bit of wavelets, sharpening with denoise in Astrosurface pull a bit more details without being too much; you could even use it as a luminance 60-70% over your softer image. Worth giving it a try.

10 hours ago, Kon said:

Nice and it seems that you have pulled more details next to the GRS but I wonder how the 11min would look with your normal approach. I found with my recent Jupiter images, a tiny bit of wavelets, sharpening with denoise in Astrosurface pull a bit more details without being too much; you could even use it as a luminance 60-70% over your softer image. Worth giving it a try.

Yeah I might try that thanks Kostas 👍