NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Survey on Impact of Satellites on Observing

Mandy D

I have just received an email from the BAA linking to a survey concerning the increasing numbers of satellites in LEO.

"Jonathan McDowell maintains a list of planned constellations on Jonathan's Space Pages where, up to 22-Aug-2023, he shows a maximum total of 543,811 LEO satellites from 18 different planned constellations. He doesn’t give a timescale but, if all are launched as planned, this would eventually represent a more than 90-fold increase over the current number!"

It would be in the interests of all to complete the online form and spread the word. The survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.

https://form.jotform.com/232251987986069

Edited by Mandy D
Incorrect Link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If recent decades of evolving hi tech gear is anything to go by*, these zillions of satellites will be obsolete and replaced by another technology surprisingly soon. Only the damage will remain. *Think cabled router internet replaced by wifi, tape recordings > cassettes > cd's > streaming, 'Squareials' > other satellite dishes, the list is long, the piles of landfill deep.

1 minute ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

If recent decades of evolving hi tech gear is anything to go by*, these zillions of satellites will be obsolete and replaced by another technology surprisingly soon. Only the damage will remain. *Think cabled router internet replaced by wifi, tape recordings > cassettes > cd's > streaming, 'Squareials' > other satellite dishes, the list is long, the piles of landfill deep.

Does this not make it even more important to do something about the present problems?

1 minute ago, Mandy D said:

Does this not make it even more important to do something about the present problems?

I am only a binoculars/naked eye observer so not grossly affected, but the entire amateur imaging community will surely be impacted, and as for professional (ie very expensive) work, they are suffering already as I understand. Having said that, the cavorting bright satellites quickly cease to have any novelty and become just a distraction.

I wonder to what extent the probability of a satellite collision catastrophe is increased? All our existing technologies produce regular environmental disasters, is that to be extended to space (beyond the existing space debris issue)?

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Definitely worth responding to that survey. I’ve filled one in

I have, too. I hope many more members of this forum find the time to do so. If we don't act as a community, we may lose access to the night skies altogether at some point.

• Like 1