Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paint Recomendations....

Dr_Ju_ju

....  for the counterweights of an AZEQ6 mount  ?? .... 

Currently their are a very tatty 'whitish' colour, with rusty patches/scratches etc. so before the 'new' season starts (if lucky) in a few weeks, I thought I'd give my mount a brush & clean, and while the mount has come out ok, the counterweights, in comparison look awful so... 

Do I just sand down and respray with an enamel paint ?  or does any have better suggestions ??

It depends on whether you want to spend any money. To do it professionally, you could get them shot-blasted and then either powder coated or zinc passivated. Neither process is expensive, but most places have a minimum order charge, usually around £40 or £50. Have a look on the web for metal finishing services, powder coating, zinc passivating, etc. You might find a small outfit locally that will do them for a small cash fee.

• Thanks 1

It's all been done on the cheap'ish so far, apart for a replacement camera for my ageing 600D, and some sheet ally to mount all bits & bobs, so I'm more likely to it all myself, but I'll see if there any 'shops' in the area willing to do the work ....

Hammerite should do it, I've used generic spray paint on dovetails before okay. You need to sand down/grind off any old paint and give it an even rough surface/key for the paint to adhere to (use a low grit number if using sandpaper), use a wire brush to remove any rust or grind it off. Then in a clean relatively cool/non humid ventilated area go over with the spray in a few quick even one time passes, then a longish cake without causing paint overrun drips, this give the best adhesion. Allow to set before doing another few passes. If you want to lock the paint in use a lacquer like car body ones, though this only requires light one time spray passes.

• Like 3

Before you apply Hammerite, which I recommend, please remove any surface rust with emery cloth and then treat with a rust remover, almost all varieties of which contain phosphoric acid. A hard insoluble layer of iron phosphate is created which greatly inhibits further rust formation.

Hammerite itself will not stop rust from recurring. I speak from experience.

• Like 3