Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good afternoon ,

I would like to guage honest opinions of this little Tak . 

I've never looked through a Takahashi scope before but my love for small fracs has led me to the 60mm OTA (FLO) . Of course i am well aware of the limitations of such an aperture , but , its the clarity of viewing image that interests me . 

I have a starwave 70ED which is a lovely scope , but , despite the 10mm difference in aperture , is the Tak60 going to provide a clearer , crisper views . There is a difference in glass to consider . The starwave uses fpl55 whereas the Tak uses FPL53 . 

I will be using the scope for widefield viewing . 

So, i know quite a few of you have a Tak ... maybe a few have this model ...honest opinions are most welcome as , although its the less expensive in the range , its still not cheap .

KR 

Stu

I really doubt there would be an improvement with the Tak (which has fluorite, by the way), especially as it’s 10mm smaller. in fact I think the 70mm will be better all round.

The Tak is a fine scope, but it has a short focal length. It you really wanted optical perfection, then the FOA 60Q is it. Or you could get the Tak Q module for the FC 60.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I really doubt there would be an improvement with the Tak (which has fluorite, by the way), especially as it’s 10mm smaller. in fact I think the 70mm will be better all round.

The Tak is a fine scope, but it has a short focal length. It you really wanted optical perfection, then the FOA 60Q is it. Or you could get the Tak Q module for the FC 60.

Hi Jeremy , thank you for the swift reply ... the module is something i would be looking at for sure, but i take your point and thats why i asked the question. From what you write i am unsure about the purchase , especially as you quite rightly point out i already have a very decent 70mm .   ... i am also looking at the StellaMira 80 F10, which would compliment my 70mm as a longer focal length option  .

Stu

Personally Stu if I was you I would go for something like a 100mm frac. Making small incremental increases in aperture is not going to be very noticeable imo. The difference from a 70mm to 100mm however is substantial and the benefits will be very apparent.

• Like 3

The one I have is remarkably sharp for such a small aperture.

Of course the key word here is 'small'. That's the main attraction, quality optics in a package that will go anywhere. Seen here in 'birding' mode.

DSC_04582048.thumb.jpg.fc62bec3da6d8d43d83c7f676ab95f2b.jpg

The 45° erecting prism here is naff, but the only one that works (with an LVW stuffed down inside it); the focuser is very limited in range of movement. The 1.25" Tak prism works perfectly for astro though.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Personally Stu if I was you I would go for something like a 100mm frac. Making small incremental increases in aperture is not going to be very noticeable imo. The difference from a 70mm to 100mm however is substantial and the benefits will be very apparent.

Hi Ian , the reson for the F10 is that its ideal for planetary viewing , albeit a similar aperture , whereas the 70 is a widefield option , but i certainly take your point ... i did look at the StellaMira 100, but that has FPL51 glass and not such a long FR . Same price though . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

If you want wide-field views would it be worth considering large observation binoculars ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/observation-binoculars.html

Hi Dave ... a scope or binos , i will take a scope anyday . I do actually own binoculars for astro but rarely use them . But once again its a good point 

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

The one I have is remarkably sharp for such a small aperture.

Of course the key word here is 'small'. That's the main attraction, quality optics in a package that will go anywhere. Seen here in 'birding' mode.

DSC_04582048.thumb.jpg.fc62bec3da6d8d43d83c7f676ab95f2b.jpg

The 45° erecting prism here is naff, but the only one that works (with an LVW stuffed down inside it); the focuser is very limited in range of movement. The 1.25" Tak prism works perfectly for astro though.

It looks so good , is that a gear head its sitting on?  Is there problems achieving focus with some diagonals /EPs ?

11 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Ian , the reson for the F10 is that its ideal for planetary viewing , albeit a similar aperture , whereas the 70 is a widefield option , but i certainly take your point ... i did look at the StellaMira 100, but that has FPL51 glass and not such a long FR . Same price though . 

The Starfield 102 which I have has FPL53 and Lanthanum lenses. It’s an excellent scope with great optics as the reviews show. When viewing the planets I generally use a 2x extender which turns it into an F14 in any case, and even at 200x plus magnification I can see no chromatic aberration.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Is there problems achieving focus with some diagonals /EPs ?

It works fine with 1.25". I haven't tried it with a 2" yet apart from the 2" 45° erecting prism. That was a disappointment. I had to return one prism because I couldn't get any eyepiece to focus with it; the only one I can get working is this nasty (suffers from CA at moderate powers) Antares. That allows the 1.25" nosepiece to slide down into the internal collar allowing the LVWs to be used in 2" mode. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The Starfield 102 which I have has FPL53 and Lanthanum lenses. It’s an excellent scope with great optics as the reviews show. When viewing the planets I generally use a 2x extender which turns it into an F14 in any case, and even at 200x plus magnification I can see no chromatic aberration.

The Starfield 102 looks like great value for money and I read that it was very close in performance to a 4” Takahashi.

Would that be too big for you @Stu1smartcookie ?

• Like 1

I'm curious whether you're more interested in an optically outstanding, smaller telescope (which is how I am interpreting your original post) or a larger scope that shows you more (which some of the replies seem to suggest). To my mind, they aren't the same. If you're after the former, I think an FS-60Q or (better) FC-60 or (best) FOA-60/FOA-60Q would fit the bill. If you're after a larger scope that would show you more, then I think the previous replies are pointing in good directions.

I've owned a couple 100mm Taks but now mainly use my FOA-60Q... not because it shows more, but because I like it more. I see them as different tools.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

It works fine with 1.25". I haven't tried it with a 2" yet apart from the 2" 45° erecting prism. That was a disappointment. I had to return one prism because I couldn't get any eyepiece to focus with it; the only one I can get working is this nasty (suffers from CA at moderate powers) Antares. That allows the 1.25" nosepiece to slide down into the internal collar allowing the LVWs to be used in 2" mode. 

Thanks for the answer . Michael

I've just tried the scope with a Baader 2". There isn't enough in focus for it to reach focus other than about 30' away...

The 1.25" prism needs a 10mm extension to reach focus with a Nirvana.

Note I have a 2" clicklock fitted. The 1.25" may work better with the original fittings. I think that's how I tested it originally.

1 minute ago, The60mmKid said:

I'm curious whether you're more interested in an optically outstanding, smaller telescope (which is how I am interpreting your original post) or a larger scope that shows you more (which some of the replies seem to suggest). To my mind, they aren't the same. If you're after the former, I think an FS-60Q or (better) FC-60 or (best) FOA-60/FOA-60Q would fit the bill. If you're after a larger scope that would show you more, then I think the previous replies are pointing in good directions.

I've owned a couple 100mm Taks but now mainly use my FOA-60Q... not because it shows more, but because I like it more. I see them as different tools.

I agree with you 100% ... my main question was whether the Tak would be optically superior to my existing 70mm Starwave , which Jeremy answered . I am curious enough to want to buy one of those scopes . Having said that i could , for the same money buy a longer FL frac ( which is where i went a bit off track lol) . With our weather and our "set it up bring it in ",all  within 20 minutes i seem to be leaning towards smaller gear (AGAIN) . 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I agree with you 100% ... my main question was whether the Tak would be optically superior to my existing 70mm Starwave , which Jeremy answered . I am curious enough to want to buy one of those scopes . Having said that i could , for the same money buy a longer FL frac ( which is where i went a bit off track lol) . With our weather and our "set it up bring it in ",all  within 20 minutes i seem to be leaning towards smaller gear (AGAIN) . 

FC-76DCU? Unlike the other names I've dropped, I haven't used one of these. But reports are universally glowing, and the size and weight are most appealing.

• Like 4

You are not alone with your way of thinking. I to have been looking at the small Tak scopes to be a part of a quick G&G set up. As you say the set up, bring it back in fiascos are starting to wear thin with me as well. I am contemplating either a TOA 60Q or a 76mm version for this purpose.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You are not alone with your way of thinking. I to have been looking at the small Tak scopes to be a part of a quick G&G set up. As you say the set up, bring it back in fiascos are starting to wear thin with me as well. I am contemplating either a TOA 60Q or a 76mm version for this purpose.

And our purchases have mirrored each other on more than one occasion mate :)

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Haha 1

And our purchases have mirrored each other on more than one occasion mate :)

I have this friend, and we keep buying and selling astronomy items between us. I think we've owned the selfsame pair of 8x42 binoculars three times each. Apparently, there's a name for such behavior: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_à_deux

• Like 1

Honestly, I would go for the Fc-76 DCU. At this aperture, every mm counts and 60mm is very small and the DCU splits in two so just as portable. But there is no doubt the FS-60 is a great little scope and the Q module makes it even more so.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2016/04/03/takahashi-fs-60-review/

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2018/03/31/takahashi-fs-60q-review/

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2017/03/12/takahashi-fc-76-dcu-review/

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

I have this friend, and we keep buying and selling astronomy items between us. I think we've owned the selfsame pair of 8x42 binoculars three times each. Apparently, there's a name for such behavior: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_à_deux

I think its more common ... especially in our Hobby :)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Jeremy , thank you for the swift reply ... the module is something i would be looking at for sure, but i take your point and thats why i asked the question. From what you write i am unsure about the purchase , especially as you quite rightly point out i already have a very decent 70mm .   ... i am also looking at the StellaMira 80 F10, which would compliment my 70mm as a longer focal length option  .

Stu

I have a Stellamira 80mm F10 and can confirm that it is a great scope. Well engineered and nice optics (FPL-53 and Lanthanum), which show no CA as far as I can see. I use mine mainly for solar white light. It’s not a small scope though at a FL of 800mm and is longer and heavier than my Tak FC100 D. It does only take 5 mins to set up in my back garden though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YogSothoth said:

I have a Stellamira 80mm F10 and can confirm that it is a great scope. Well engineered and nice optics (FPL-53 and Lanthanum), which show no CA as far as I can see. I use mine mainly for solar white light. It’s not a small scope though at a FL of 800mm and is longer and heavier than my Tak FC100 D. It does only take 5 mins to set up in my back garden though.

Thanks for the reply , I think that scope looks soooo nice . But , more importantly the reviews suggest it's a fine scope . I went a little off track when I mentioned it , but it's on my list for sure 

Stu 

• Like 1