Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions - New Askar 103mm APO triplet

It’s a lot of aperture for not a lot of money, and if we assume the optics are serviceable then it’s pretty good value, considering that Askar always had good mechanics. 
If I didn’t have a 4” APO already I might consider getting one just for visual.

On 22/09/2023 at 12:57, Elp said:

In relation to this but maybe a doublet, a 120mm is also incoming.

Edit: it is a triplet and at around 1500 not bad in price.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/895629-iris-nebula-with-askar-103apo-and-06x/

My first image with the scope and 0.6x reducer. For me there was not too much chromatic aberration with the reducer compared to Nico's result. 

It could be because the baader mod filter only let's thought light above about 420nm, as opose to the 400nm of the ir cut filter in the camera Nico used. 

• Like 1

So far I cannot fault it.

To me the fit, finish and quality are brilliant but I have never owned a comparable scope. The closest would be a William optics 66 zenithstar. 

I had no problems with my scope or any of the flatteners. 

Visually the scope is great, the famous double cluster was brilliant in a 16mm nirvana eyepiece. 

With a 5mm bst there was a lot of contrast in jupiter and the GRS was immediately obvious. In my opinion there was more contrast than with a 127mm mak. 

For imaging, thanks to the weather I have only had the one image so far of the iris but it was flawless. It was easy to focus manually and held focus well after a 30 minute cool down. I have had no issues so far. 

Hopefully we get more clear nights soon! 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a non-imager much of this discussion leaves me feeling cold, though I do understand enough to know it's important for my imaging colleagues.

As a visual observer, I'd be more interested in which would perform the best visually - the Askar 103 triplet or one of the 102 F7 doublets which use an FPL53 element and a Lanthanum element.

The price difference is to some degree mitigated by the fact that the Askar has the removable tube section, which I believe would satisfy the requirements of most if not all airlines.  Also it comes with two Vixen finder feet - many of the doublets don't seem to come with one, never mind two.  Also a handle is supplied with the Askar.

PS  Vash, I love your image.  Your comments on its visual performance are also much appreciated, thank you.

Edited by paulastro
The PS added.
  • Like 1

I don't think you really need a triplet for visual, they take longer to cool down and visually will you really see the blue/violet unfocussed point? I've got a Starfield 102mm doublet and it's excellent visually, it was enough to stop me looking at a triplet.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Elp

I agree you don't 'need' a triplet for visual, though the Tak TSA120 with FT I had some time ago was pretty good 😅 

I don't think many astronomers always only buy scopes because they 'need' them - for many it's a case of 'want' - for all sorts of reasons 😊.

I can't remember anyone complaining about the cool down time of a TSA102 although I'm sure it would take a little longer than a doublet. But visually it's still one of the best visual refractors ever made. I'd imagine the Askar 103 would also be a splendid visual refractor. I'd like to play with one and see just how good it is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Elp said:

Askar really going to town ATM (185mm APO triplet):

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/askar-185apo-185mm-f7-ed-apo-triplet-apochromatic-refractor-telescope.html

So now we have the 103, 120 and 185mm triplets.

You've missed out the 140 version!  I've just seen it listed on FLO, £2098.

Screenshot_20231116_173650_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dd867ead43ee6892d96f2b668a6b06c1.jpg

Edited by paulastro
Pic added
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought this scope (Askar 103) about a month ago.  I've only had it out for one session and so far I'm pretty impressed.  I also bought the 1x flattener.  I used an ASI533MC Pro and didn't notice any violet or blue fringing.  Checking the corners of the image there were no stretched stars.  I'm sure no expert, but I'm happy with my purchase.  I'm  just now getting what I would call an advanced beginner setup with the budget that I have.

Edited by Stovetop
Forgot the scope model
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Stovetop said:

I bought this scope (Askar 103) about a month ago.  I've only had it out for one session and so far I'm pretty impressed.  I also bought the 1x flattener.  I used an ASI533MC Pro and didn't notice any violet or blue fringing.  Checking the corners of the image there were no stretched stars.  I'm sure no expert, but I'm happy with my purchase.  I'm  just now getting what I would call an advanced beginner setup with the budget that I have.

Thanks, really good info, I am waiting for images with at least and APS-C size sensor with the flattener, as I would like to see the corner stars from this set up, although in saying that it does not really matter what the corner stars look like as the new BlurX AI4 would make them perfect again anyway….🤔

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

I am waiting for images with at least and APS-C size sensor

See the previous video I linked, Nico Carver tested it with a 6200 full frame.

• Thanks 1

Not casting aspersions on Nico (I watch his channel) but he does review a lot of Askar stuff.

I would say Askar have successfully executed outreach to key influencers.  Their marketing is exemplary (unlike their glass, or filters)

My view of Askar is that their machining and assembly is pretty good, they use low price glass and play it fast and loose in their marketing charts, graphs, specs and blurb

• Like 2

In that video he did compare it to three other refractors though, each had their strengths and weaknesses.

I do however agree on the provided data from manufacturers, even when asked directly Askar didn't specify exactly the glass used.

2 hours ago, 900SL said:

Not casting aspersions on Nico (I watch his channel) but he does review a lot of Askar stuff.

I would say Askar have successfully executed outreach to key influencers.  Their marketing is exemplary (unlike their glass, or filters)

My view of Askar is that their machining and assembly is pretty good, they use low price glass and play it fast and loose in their marketing charts, graphs, specs and blurb

I have just watched the video, and I was left a bit unsure, as he was very careful how much of the aberration inspector images he actually showed from certain scopes, he showed more of the ones that were much better, and showed, and  said less. about the ones, that I assume were not so good, like the Askar.. 🤔🤔

• Like 1

If you watch the video in high resolution you can see the result for yourself, to me it looks decent. Users have also posted good feedback from it. I still use doublets and they're fine to me, I guess once I use a triplet I'll see the difference. The 120mm certainly appeals.

I have now taken at least 1 image with each flattener and reducer. My imaging camera is a badder modified canon 800d so aps-c size sensor. 

Honestly I can say that I am very pleased with the stars with all flatteners. Off the back of Nico's review I was prepared for some blue halos with the 0.6x reducer when imaging without a duel narrowband filter but I don't really see them when focused correctly, even on bright stars. 

I found that with the 0.6x reducer the focus position is very sensitive, live view on a very bright star shows a halo appearing if my focus is slightly off. So far I have only been focusing manually but tonight (first clear night in months!) I will try it with my auto focuser and see how well it does. 

To me, the 1x and 0.8x cannot be faulted right out to the corner on my aps-c sensor. 

I know the 0.6x isn't perfect but I would rather have it that not because of the speed it gives and it makes the scope more versatile. 

The post below is from a few months back using the scope and 0.6x reducer. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/415628-m31-with-askar-103apo-and-06x-reducer/#comment-4431781

• Like 1

I've been imaging with a 0.65x reducer for a while with my Z61, even with a quite small 183 sensor edge distortion is difficult to sort so I was quite surprised to see the 0.6x results with the 103mm Askar.

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

I've been imaging with a 0.65x reducer for a while with my Z61, even with a quite small 183 sensor edge distortion is difficult to sort so I was quite surprised to see the 0.6x results with the 103mm Askar.

I was also quite surprised but it's clear that quite a lot of effort went into making work as well as it does. The reducer is big and there is a lot of glass in there. It also sits deeply, a good 4" or so, inside the focuser and you need to shorten the tube by removing the middle section. 

I am sure this is not the first scope to do this but it seems to be quite novel given what is currently on the market, especially at this price point. 

Now if I wanted a scope only for close to 400mm focal length so I would only use the 0.6x reducer, I probably would have gone for an 80 or 90mm scope and a 0.8x reducer. As it stands with my other scopes, I will mostly be using the 103apo with the 0.8x reducer and having the other two flatteners just increases the versitiliy of the scope. 

Well with the new BlurX AI4 now available, this is all moot anyway, as that corrects just about any aberration,  especially where mis-shapen stars are concerned, it just adds another $100 onto the price of the scope…which at this price point is not bad..

Oh, but you do need pixinsight, so maybe more like $300 if you don’t have it already….👍🏻

• Like 1

Have just aquired one of these, have had a quick peek through it out the window, looks and feels very nice so far. It's going to be a few weeks before I can test it properly as I wait for a new camera, but it will be interesting to compare it to my FSQ 106 and Esprit 100 data. I suspect with BXT AI4 the end result will be just as good.

• Like 2