NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Absolute Beginner With Confusing “Stuff”.

I jumped in at the deep end and bought a number of items for £151 which I think is reasonable. I’m an absolute beginner and now own a Celestron Star Bright xlt 9.25. With that I also got a Swift 831 and a travel scope. Included were a “bunch” of eyepieces and other “stuff” as in the photos below. I don’t have a mount (stand ?). Would it be possible to source a mount that would suit the Celestron and Swift ? The fittings for the telescopes (part of the telescope) to the mount are both different however the celestron looks as if it would be easier to source a mount. Would it therefore be possible to modify the Swift fitting to suit the same mount ?
In hindsight I should have bought a telescope with only the necessary pieces instead of trying to fill the gaps. 
I’m not sure how reliable the components are however as best I can tell all the “knobs” operate freely and everything was well packaged and sealed. In order to prove the equipment a fairly cheap mount would be best, I think.

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1318.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to SGL.

You got an amazing deal for £151 or is it a typo ?

A photo of the dovetail fitting on the bottom of the C9.25 would help.

The Swift appears to have a Vixen type dovetail

It may be worth going to your local astronomy club to get help setting things up.

What is your budget for a mount ?

Edited by dweller25

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

Below are two photos of the “dovetails”.  Apart from the two big nuts on the Swift the dimensions for each dovetail, width wise, seem to be the same.  I was thinking  I could replace the bracket of the Swift to the dovetail fitting as on the Celestron allowing me to use, hopefully, the same basic mount. If the telescopes and lenses are ok I would thereafter look towards updating the mount. I don’t think the celestron was used.

The Celestron has a black knob against an orange disc at the end of the telescope. I have no idea it’s purpose.

I also have 5 USSR lenses (silver as in the photo) and would they be for photography ?

thanks

M

IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg

It appears that both your dovetails are the Vixen type.

The black knob against the orange disk is the focuser.

As the C9.25 is the heavier scope you might consider this mount (it will also accept the Swift).

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

Edited by dweller25

This morning I aimed the Swift towards a distant object just to confirm it was working, and it is !  Changed out various eyepieces successfully. My concern was that the telescope had been damaged but appears to be surprisingly good.

I noticed this mount - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/computerised-goto-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gtix-dual-saddle-alt-azimuth-astronomy-mount.html

the product detail includes the following statement “The mount is quiet in operation and has a payload capacity of up to 6 kg (using one saddle) or 10 kg (using both saddles).

I weighed the Swift and it’s about 3kgs. However the Celestron is about 81/2 kgs. Is eleven and a half kgs total for dual use that little bit too much ? Maybe the limit for balance is 6kgs one side (as in single use) and therefore 4kgs the other side ? That being the case I would be 21/2 kgs over the limit instead of 11/2 kgs.

M

Edited by Mikel56

17 hours ago, Mikel56 said:

now own a Celestron Star Bright xlt 9.25.

Mike,

This is a very fine scope, I have the CPC version which has given me great views, (and using it also doubles as my weight training exercise 😂) but as already stated it has to be properly collimated and needs to be checked. It may well be ok already.

cheers and enjoy the hobby, looks like you got a bargain.

You will get all the advice you need here 😁

Edited by Andy ES

Thanks Andy. I don’t think the Celestron has been used. It still has the box, packing material and a couple of tags. Once I get a mount that suits I’ll be asking about collimating ! I read an article which stated that the collimation  was factory set and likely to be ok. I had a look through the front and wouldn’t be too surprised if it needed adjusting,

Mike

ps Is it necessaryto protect the telescope from dew ?

Edited by Mikel56

Mike 

That's great if its not been used  it should all be OK as long as its not been bounced.

Mine survived delivery OK and has been fine for over two years.

CAT telescopes are susceptible to dewing up on the lens  which then really then ends the viewing for the night.

I use a heated dew shield which helps

20 hours ago, philj said:

The silver lenses are for a camera, e.g. Zorki, Fed, Zenit. You wont be able to use them as eyepieces.

Pretty confident they are Jupiter 11 (135 , f/4) lenses for L39 rangefinder mount only. That'll be for FED, Zorki, Leica LTM etc. They'd physically fit on a 39mm Zenit(h) but they won't work as-is.

As mentioned I don’t yet have a mount for either of the telescopes. This afternoon I set up the celestron through an open window. I aimed, with difficulty, towards a tree about 200m to 250m. I used one of the angle pieces and used an eyepiece of 32. I turned the focus knob and wow, crisp and clear with a very grey sky. I then changed the eyepiece for 17 or 19 and again the same result. Focus was equally crisp. So both telescopes are in working order and that’s good. The only problem is they know a lot more about what they can do than I know ! 

6 hours ago, Mikel56 said:

This morning I aimed the Swift towards a distant object just to confirm it was working, and it is !  Changed out various eyepieces successfully. My concern was that the telescope had been damaged but appears to be surprisingly good.

I noticed this mount - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/computerised-goto-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gtix-dual-saddle-alt-azimuth-astronomy-mount.html

the product detail includes the following statement “The mount is quiet in operation and has a payload capacity of up to 6 kg (using one saddle) or 10 kg (using both saddles).

I weighed the Swift and it’s about 3kgs. However the Celestron is about 81/2 kgs. Is eleven and a half kgs total for dual use that little bit too much ? Maybe the limit for balance is 6kgs one side (as in single use) and therefore 4kgs the other side ? That being the case I would be 21/2 kgs over the limit instead of 11/2 kgs.

M

The C9.25 is too heavy for that mount.

Did you read the reviews at the  bottom of the link ?

I live up north but also have a place in one of the northern isles. Open the door at night and you immediately need a torch. I have looked online and there are two clubs near me. Once I get the “stuff” in order my plan is to attend and see how I get on. Big thing today is they both “work”.

I thought the Celestron might be too heavy. So far I’ve learned the mount is at least equally as important as the telescope. I’ve been reading about Goto mounts and for someone with limited knowledge that might be the way for me to go. Having said that there’s the cost. Of the total 151 the celestron was 55 (not a typo !)  The SkyTee looks to be a very good possibility however it is manual. Question for me then is will a Goto be a significant time saver for me or should I learn the basics and go manual to begin with.

27 minutes ago, Mikel56 said:

As mentioned I don’t yet have a mount for either of the telescopes. This afternoon I set up the celestron through an open window. I aimed, with difficulty, towards a tree about 200m to 250m. I used one of the angle pieces and used an eyepiece of 32. I turned the focus knob and wow, crisp and clear with a very grey sky. I then changed the eyepiece for 17 or 19 and again the same result. Focus was equally crisp. So both telescopes are in working order and that’s good. The only problem is they know a lot more about what they can do than I know ! 

You have won the astronomy jackpot obtaining that kit for £151...(is that a typo???) The c9.25 is £1895 new and used around £1250. Whoever sold you the kit didn't realise what they had assuming £151 really is not a typo!

There's no cheap mounting solution for that scope.

• Like 1