SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Something obstructing view

Hi @phantomgod_06 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I am not into astro-imaging/photography at present, but if you could include what equipment, i.e. 'scope, camera, etc., you are using, then that would help. Some 'newtonians' tend to focus 'off the bat' others you have to do a little bit of tinkering or add an extension to the focus mechanism.

"I was trying to observe Venus through my telescope"

"Although, when I observe the moon it is bright and clear"

That suggest to me that if you didn't alter the focus after seeing a focused image of the moon.

And  looking through the eyepiece you saw a focused image of Venus.

Then did you alter the focus when you tried to take the image of Venus ?

If not then I can only guess you didn't have the phone positioned correctly.

Michael

32 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

"I was trying to observe Venus through my telescope"

"Although, when I observe the moon it is bright and clear"

That suggest to me that if you didn't alter the focus after seeing a focused image of the moon.

And  looking through the eyepiece you saw a focused image of Venus.

Then did you alter the focus when you tried to take the image of Venus ?

If not then I can only guess you didn't have the phone positioned correctly.

Michael

Just switching from the Moon to Venus wouldn't throw the focus out by that much ... 😉

• Like 2

You probably need a spacer/extension piece between the eyepiece and the body of the scope. Try setting up in the day. Point at a chimney or aerial a few hundred yards away. You should be able to get focus. Then when you look at the moon or Venus, you shouldn't be that far off focus. The extension tube may need to be 5cm long.

Hope that helps

gaj

If you were able to focus on the Moon, then Venus should be in focus too.

But did you actually see detail on the moon, or was it a featureless blob ?

The scope should be able to focus an eyepiece that came with it, without needing to add any extensions.

The Moon and Venus are so far away that they can both be considered to be at "infinity".

Whereas a distant landmark will only get you close to "infinity" focus, but is a good starting point if correct focus is way out.

Then for best night time focus, start with the Moon if available, and then a star.

Michael

Can you send a photo of what your setup looks like. Something is really odd here. Perhaps a close up of how your lens connects to the body of the scope too.

cheers

gaj

You have still not told us what camera you are using.  If you are taking a photo through the eyepiece and the image is visually in focus, then the camera image should be roughly in focus. But if you are using a smartphone it may be trying to use its own autofocus & auto-exposure, and for all we know  it's trying to image the insides of your telescope.

A true image of Venus taken through this scope with a 20mm eyepiece will probably be on the small side.