Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grab and Go: Goto or manual?

Same scope as Gary's (above) but i use and prefer a non motorised mounting.

As simple to use as they come. I don't need tracking all the time. 

An easy two or three star alignment and i'm good to go.

The best bit ? No wires, no noisy motors, no counterweights, or complex set up routines.

I've since upgraded the tripod to a "Planet'  Much more solid, and mandatory really for a 5"+ sized refractor.

dJAUHp8cQHu+DJTX5MY6+g

• Like 2

The owls at the end of the garden, the church clock’s chimes, the dog’s snoring, passing cars, are all louder than my EQ5 slewing. The only way I can see it keeping my neighbours awake is if I’ve inadvertently set up in their bedroom…

Go with what you like. If you don’t mind having a little more to carry and set up, or suffer from light polluted skies, go goto. If you like to keep it simple, or enjoy the thrill of the chase, go manual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Lapwing said:

Here, here, here 

Not sure what happened there, that wasn’t what I meant to post at all. What I wanted to say was, I agree with John. I appreciate the simplicity of AZ mounts, preferably with a nice refractor. No Wi-Fi, no wires just you and some glass and the universe. 

Edited by The Lapwing