Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Several large proms on display today (19-6-23)

Nik271

Just came back from a quick solar session between clouds. There are several large proms, I counted three big ones in the south and one flimsy detached one on the western limb that looks like its trying to fly away. Did not move much in 20 minutes, so it may hang on for some time. 

• Like 2

I managed a couple of sessions with 35mm and 150mm apertures.  Earlier rain showers had cooled and cleared the air so the seeing was quite good, the large aperture providing detailed closeups of the full disc features shown by the 35mm.     🙂

• Like 2

A particularly good day for ‘filaproms’ - filaments that turn into prominences. One was really stunning - could follow feathered streams of plasma as they stretched over the limb.     
My problem is I view with binoviewers from different angles through a star diagonal so much of the time I’m unaware of north/south/east/west - I just enjoy the show.

• Like 3

I use a manual EQ mount  so the sidereal west is always the direction of drift and with a diagonal view north is 90 degrees clockwise from west. I should have clarified that I  just refer to the sidereal directions, not the Sun's own east/west, which due to the tilt of both Sun and Earth axes of rotation differs a lot  from the sidereal during the year.

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 1