Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus in Daylight

mikeDnight

24 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I don’t think so Malcolm, though you could always try a filter. Paul Abel uses an 8-inch telescope, often unfiltered: https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230614_160349_2da60f868f446e37

And Alan Heath - a wonderful observer and Saint - uses large apertures such as his 8" SCT. Alan is pretty hot on using filters though, as each really does highlight subtle differences in detail. :angel5:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paz said:

That sketch is very useful to see, I did a first ever sketch of Venus a few weeks ago and although the patterns were different the look of it is very similar, but exaggerated just like your sketch. The actual contrast in the features was much less than I sketched, and on the boundaries of what was detectable to me, so my sketch was more schematic than realistic.

20230616_072533.thumb.jpg.98c560dd004de0796928f3db3a4b862d.jpg

Your drawing mirrors very much what I have often observed recently. The shading is so subtle that it's easy to think you are imagining it!

Malcolm 

Malcolm 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I don’t think so Malcolm, though you could always try a filter. Paul Abel uses an 8-inch telescope, often unfiltered: https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230614_160349_2da60f868f446e37

I was not using a filter last night. I should have tried my herschel wedge with the ND filter (temporarily) removed and also I have ND, O-III and other filters available. 

I get a bit stubborn sometimes though 🙄

Each time I observe Venus I think I am seeing some contrast variations across the cloud tops at times, and then they change, and then I see nothing for a bit. I'm probably being over-cautious about sketching what I see as being transitory stuff, possibly even due to "trying too hard" !

It was a similar situation when I eventually managed to see the Horsehead Nebula a few years back. Once I had a couple of sightings that I was confident about, I realised that I had probably seen it a few times in the past but didn't know that I was 🙄

We are learning all the time in this hobby 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 5

At the risk of dragging on a bit, here's this evenings observation. FS60CB plus Extender-Q plus Tak Abbe 4mm at 19.00 BST

Venus was very sharp and very bright. The cloud detail seemed to come and go such that I was in my usual quandary as to whether I was seeing true cloud detail or optical artifacts! If I had to summarise,  I would say definite darker areas North and South with a brighter patch in the middle!

Malcolm 

20230617_205742.thumb.jpg.65ac99e2edfedee713a4d6451200160c.jpg

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

At the risk of dragging on a bit, here's this evenings observation. FS60CB plus Extender-Q plus Tak Abbe 4mm at 19.00 BST

Venus was very sharp and very bright. The cloud detail seemed to come and go such that I was in my usual quandary as to whether I was seeing true cloud detail or optical artifacts! If I had to summarise,  I would say definite darker areas North and South with a brighter patch in the middle!

Malcolm 

20230617_205742.thumb.jpg.65ac99e2edfedee713a4d6451200160c.jpg

Fine focussing backwards and forwards to get the best image of Venus at high power is just what the MEF-3 was made for 👍🏻

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

The cloud detail seemed to come and go such that I was in my usual quandary as to whether I was seeing true cloud detail or optical artifacts!

Prising cloud detail from Venus presents such observational extremes that what you do actually see can seem illusionary, the focused image drifts in and out with the seeing and makes you think you haven't seen anything real, it's so subtle. This has a lot to do with its altitude, heat rising from the day and the sheer brightness of the planet. Compare it to observing Mars at a favorable opposition high in the sky at midnight. If Venus was high at the zenith in astronomical darkness with excellent seeing, then with suitable ND filters we all would think observing Venusian clouds was easy.

• Like 5

Venus is a great challenge to test you observing skills and it’s fun stepping up to that challenge.

I love observing cloud, well other planets clouds anyway.

Being seated, spending plenty of time at the eyepiece and being prepared to try various filters has worked for me.

As others have said, not easy. 
In my view that’s the whole point.

Oh and doubting what you are seeing is the biggest challenge of all at the start.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Venus is a great challenge to test you observing skills and it’s fun stepping up to that challenge.

I love observing cloud, well other planets clouds anyway.

Being seated, spending plenty of time at the eyepiece and being prepared to try various filters has worked for me.

As others have said, not easy. 
In my view that’s the whole point.

Oh and doubting what you are seeing is the biggest challenge of all at the start.

Totally agree and what's lovely about this time of year with Venus is you can observe it while sitting in the sun :)

I got Venus yesterday at 18.00, the earliest I have seen it yet. Here's a sketch with the usual caveats of exaggerated markings and questions as to whether I was seeing detail or have an over active imagination :)

FS60CB plus Extender-Q plus TOE 3.3 and 4. The 4 gave the best view. Once I knew where to look, I could actually see Venus with the naked eye at 18.00. 

Malcolm 

20230625_122550.thumb.jpg.ce428e137510246f3887b408f52ef176.jpg

• Like 5