Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this really a meteorite

Dave scutt

My mother in law has given me this.

The story behind it is that it was found on a hill side in West Sussex in 1964 .

They visited the area after being told a meteorite had crashed there, lots of people where there collecting these rocks.

I would be interested in anyone's opinion on it , it's just under the size of a golf ball and very heavy at 75g

Dave

20230608_180412.thumb.jpg.0ceae8f7e5ce70a5d3ca9f939739cabe.jpg20230608_180424.thumb.jpg.3d2d1433c9d38f8f576eb492a5ab4fdb.jpg20230608_180448.thumb.jpg.e454fb1a3a2d39cc3555d094b74768f5.jpg20230608_180508.thumb.jpg.ef1a4cb91d1a32421ebba4f11cdbabab.jpg20230608_180513.thumb.jpg.86dc7133da6b885e6e5cf4b98f4bc9eb.jpg

It doesn’t look like a meteorite to me, but it is difficult to tell from your photos. If this was a recent fall I would expect to see fusion crust. Also the orangish colour  looks like weathering over a prolonged period. Have you tried to see if it is attracted to a magnet ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, laudropb said:

It doesn’t look like a meteorite to me, but it is difficult to tell from your photos. If this was a recent fall I would expect to see fusion crust. Also the orangish colour  looks like weathering over a prolonged period. Have you tried to see if it is attracted to a magnet ?

No it's not magnetic 

8 minutes ago, John said:

It looks like an iron pyrite nodule. Someone asked the Natural History Museum a question about a similar specimen a few years back:

NaturePlus: Coprolite? (nhm.ac.uk)

They thought theirs might be fossilised dinosaur poo !

Yes, it’s a pyrite nodule. Relatively common in chalk. I use to go searching for them (when fossil hunting) when I was a kid in some of the chalk pits near/on the Surrey Downs.

• Like 2

This website documents all the known UK and Irish meteorite falls. It needs to be updated ton include the WInchcombe Meteorite fall in February 2021:

UK and Ireland Meteorite page (meteoritehistory.info)

I have seen many meteorite specimens over the years (I used to collect them) but yours does not resemble any that I have seen.

Another useful link on meteorite identification:

Meteorite Identification: Have you found a space rock? (geology.com)

• Like 2

I collect rocks and minerals and that is either a Pyrite Nodule or some other form of Iron Concretion easiest way to test it would be to do a streak test on a piece of unglazed porcelain or underside of a toilet tank lid in a pinch and run it across, Pyrite will leave a dark blackish green to black streak, Iron will leave either a reddish brown or rust orange streak behind, based on the corrosion on the outside and the color though I’m going to say it’s a specific type of pyrite called arsenopyrite if it’s golden Or Marcasite if it’s more Silver which is found with quartz and often rusts out of rock beds. However it’s not a meteorite unfortunately those are extremely rare to find a large specimen if you do want to find some tiny particles you might have luck straining your downspout water and running a magnet over the water tiny particles of meteorites rain down on our roofs every day and we’re not even aware of it.

Edited by StarDuke82
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...