SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 2023 Challenge 2 - Sketches

First of all, apologies for the late announcement of the results of this challenge.  This has been due to my being out of the country for an extended period. 

The purpose of this thread was to raise awareness of the value of sketching at the eyepiece and to showcase the efforts of the forum's sketchers.  Unusually for the SGL Challenges the thread was open to comments and this enabled our more experienced sketches to offer support particularly showing examples of earlier work.  I really enjoyed the sense of community that this generated.  Well done to everyone who contributed.  

There was a suggestion that a sketching challenge could be run on a more frequent basis, possibly every two months.  I don't think we could manage this within the current challenge framework although, be in no doubt, there will be further sketching challenges.  However, it would be a simple matter for sketching members to organise their own challenges within the Sketching board https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/21-sketching/

I've agonised over how to judge the submissions.   Some of the sketches reveal a serious level of expertise gained from long experience at the eyepiece.  Sitting alongside these are sketches from complete novices and it was fascinating to read of their experiences.     There is a wonderful array  of solar, lunar, planetary sketches along with some great deep sky and comet grabs   I have chosen as "winners" what I feel are particularly good examples from each of these categories .  I think this makes more sense on this occassion than a first, second and third.

Deep Sky and comet

Nicola Fletcher - Comet C2022 E3 ZTF

483C344F-4AFA-45B0-9DB3-785780AF31BF.jpeg

There were images of the comet which showed more detail but I really liked the subtle shading conveying  the ghostliness  that matched very closely the views I had through the eyepiece.

Lunar

CraigT82 - Canaupus

AB6AE265-E345-49DD-B278-2BD83683FE1D.jpeg

Craig is just starting out on his sketching career and has got off to a flying start.  This sketch of a less familiar crater has a very natural look with a sense of depth

Planetary

MikeDnight - Mars

20230419_135458.thumb.jpg.1cd227d4fba4f73321f6bac609334c86.jpg

MikeDnight is a very experienced and accomplished sketcher.  He genorously shared his experience and submitted a stunning set of sketches including other planetary  and some amazing lunar craters.  I loved the subtle colouring  of a very small Mars.  It looks simple but this must take a lot of skill

Solar

Roy Challen - Full disc

IMG_20230407_103132681.thumb.jpg.db890b3ab9b15905a32b49fc13975bc2.jpg

Roy says he has never been much good at drawing.  I would say Roy is not much good at realising just how good he is!  He submitted some outstanding solar sketches.  This one was actually part of a series.  I think the detailing of this image is exquisite

This was really an impossible challenge to judge.  On this occassion I decided to judge on my own since getting a panel of moderator judges to agree would have been like trying to herd cats!  There were several other contributors who also submitted wonderful sketches and if you haven't visited the thread I would highly recommend you do https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/406013-sgl-2023-challenge-2-sketches/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Well done to all those who participated and congratulations to those who won it was well deserved there was a plethora of amazing work on that thread 

clear skies and sharp pencils everyone until the next time lol 

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind comments, congrats to the other winners,  the standard of submissions was very high and I really enjoyed participating. Looking forward to the next one😊

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 4

I loved the extra motivation to sketch in order to post in this challenge with others and I too really enjoyed the sense of community from doing so and exchanging comments between posts. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

i would add a wish for dry pastels to @Moon monkey sharp pencils and clear skies.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, josefk said:

I loved the extra motivation to sketch in order to post in this challenge with others and I too really enjoyed the sense of community from doing so and exchanging comments between posts. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

i would add a wish for dry pastels to @Moon monkey sharp pencils and clear skies.

You got it buddy 🙂🙂

sharp pencils, dry pastels  it’s is 🙂👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2023 at 17:47, CraigT82 said:

Congratulations Roy, Mike and Nicola. Have just received my mug… will have pride of place on the shelf! 

188FA957-C910-4E12-AF81-291CFFD1097B.jpeg

That's a nice mug and a very nice sketch. The first of many for your shelf no doubt! :thumbsup: