Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar scope sun visor

Sunshine

What are some ideas for a sun block when solar observing? I don’t like to use a towel around my head feeling like Im suffocating. Something like a sun block I can clamp to the clambshell or mount itself which is small, maybe a foot squared would be nice to block my head from the rays. Feel free to post your sun visor device.

I have this observing hood which I use for both regular and Solar Observing. There is a white version specifically for Solar but I just use the black version for both. It’s one of my best astronomy purchases! There’s a review thread that someone started on here a few years back for it  

https://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

Though it is a full cover so maybe more than you want. 

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a black rsky hood I use when the sun is lower/cooler but it gets too hot when the sun is higher. I ought to get a white one.

I thought about shields you can put on your scope which would be a better solution that's easy to set up I but wanted to be completely shaded so in the end I went for the telegizmo blanket/hood which is good but more hassle to set up. That keeps the sun off your whole upper body which is such a relief when the sun is higher/hotter.

I also wrap a sheet (a photographers shroud, but anything will do) around the tripod legs to keep my legs cool and also to reduce reflections from the ground.

When I put the time into setting this up it is great. Much cooler for comfortable sessions in the heat, and darker for better contrast views.

20220717_103138.thumb.jpg.f18fabe1164adba8c103b9db450a464a.jpg

• 1 month later...

What about a fishing hat, it's a baseball cap with a flap for sun protection which is removable. It's fastened on with a couple of press studs so you could reverse it and the caps peak would hold the flap out and over the eyepiece. Looks pretty stupid but might actually work!

Web capture_18-6-2023_214449_www.miniinthebox.com.jpeg

I have a silver blanket for complete darkness, and I sometimes wear a cap. But if you can find the right sized eye guards, perfectly adapted to your preferred eye relief (as with my binoviewer pair on the left of the picture), you can effectively block out all light. This approach can cause the lenses to steam up after a few minutes, so you need to pull your head back occasionally, but it’s a really immersive way to enjoy the Sun.

57842050-45DB-4AC7-B829-01F0988CC519.jpeg

• Like 2