Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Question:

I've been asked to write an astro piece for our local community newsletter, and one thing I want to touch on is equipment for prospective beginners. Binoculars are one obvious recommendation, so my question to experienced dark-sky observers is this: "Approximately what percentage of Messier objects do you reckon are detectable with 10x50s at a dark site?" Our skies here are 21.8, and I have measured 22.0 a few times with the MW out of the way on tryly transparent nights)?. I have a feel for what the answer might be, but I have by no means seen them all.

Thanks., Magnus

PS I'm also starting up an astronomy group/club/society - there are none here.

• Like 4

I don't know what proportion of Messier's list will be seen with 10 x 50's. However I can say two things. Firstly I have seen M1 with 10 x 30 binoculars. I have also drawn NGC288 ( mag 9.37 ) with 12 x 40 bins. By extrapolation to the light grasp of 50mm bins I would expect that most, if not all, could be seen in really dark skies. I am sure someone here will confirm that. Secondly, when starting astronomy the newbe will have to learn to see again. They will not be able to see everything the first night. Only with experience will they see more.

Nigel

Edited by Astrobits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M1 seems to be one of those objects that exemplifies the value of dark skies. It is certainly large enough (420″ × 290″), but I've read previously that city-based members have had trouble finding it.  I spotted it quickly in a 6" (Bortle 4).

Messier's equipment in the 18th century was quite basic. It's difficult to compare with modern kit because telescopes from that era seem to be recorded by focal length in preference to aperture, and we don't necessarily know their quality, but it has been suggested that his might have been equivalent to a modern 3.5" refractor.

What he did have was better skies than most modern observers. Given that yours are pushing 22.0, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of the Messier list were detectable in decent binoculars. By its nature, the list is dominated by extended fuzzies, so decent skies and optics with good contrast will help.

I'm sure there'll be someone here who has tried.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all, that’s great, just what I need. What will go into my article will be the word “most”, as it’s for the benefit of people who share these skies here. For myself, I can easily see M1 in my 10x50s.

Thanks, Magnus

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

There's seems to be a lack of clubs around my area the closest is Galway,  you would think there would be one in Mayo as it's bortle 1 and a dark site

Sounds as if you should do what I’m attempting to do … start one. To begin with you’ll be Founder, President, Treasurer, Secretary, only member 😂.

My approach has been think of a name, get a little bit of infrastructure set up, i.e. a website and/or FB simply saying what it is and where and when you’ll meet up (perhaps a local pub with observing lawn out back, last Thursday each month say), distribute some flyers and tell anyone who’ll listen, turn up and accept the first couple of “meets” you’ll likely be the only person there. You may be surprised who comes out of the woodwork.

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 2

Are you familiar with the binocularsky.com website - run by Steve Tonkin ( @BinocularSky here ) who writes about binoculars and what's to be seen through them for Astro magazines?

If you go to his site, there's a search page designed for binocular use, which suggests about 65 Messier targets available for 10x50s if your limiting magnitude is about 10m. 

https://binocularsky.com/search.php

Lots of great advice across the whole of his site.

And there's a monthly newsletter giving suggestions for binocular targets for that time of year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I reckon with your skies you would get them all Magnus. You are pretty far south, so the southern ones are doable and big. The biggest challenge might some of the little ones which need a bit more mag. M57 for instance, you can see it in binos if you know what you are looking for but it’s tiny and might be hard for a beginner to identify.

Good luck with the club! Do you accept visitors? 😉

• Thanks 1

If you have good skies then you might be in luck. Bear in mind Messier did his catalogue from Bortle 1 skies with a 100mm refractor. The sky must have been a wonderful sight back then with zero light pollution - apart from the odd candle :tongue2:

• Like 1