SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

6x30 finders - anyone using one?

I just came across this picture on an FB group showing just what I mentioned before…

The chap replaced the thumb screws with M4 x 4mm grub screws and used a wrap of insulating tape to prevent them marring the finder. Not sure if this only works on the 50mm or the 30mm as well.

IMG_7064.jpeg

I should add on the More Blue finder shoe I've now replaced the gold screws as they look out of place. As I have a Baader ClickLock fitted to the draw tube the two screws on the Tak 2" have been cannibalised to fit the shoe. Now everything matches 👍

Based on this thread piquing my interest, I dug out a long ignored x30 SW traight through finder and foot and set up for my SD103.
Gave it a whirl last night on my GP mount as well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

IMG_6196.thumb.jpeg.5afe35e246e60a648133863fb929f902.jpeg

Well I was transported to my roots, first scope and finder on an EQ mount and in moments it all came back to me, in a good way.
After a chunk of time on Jupiter oops typo! Venus I targeted various targets and it was very simple to use, found it far nicer than my Rigel last night,
which in my book is quite something.

So thanks for this thread, if nothing else, its made me look at basics again and given me an evening of great fun and pleasure.

Edited by Alan White
Added picture
  • Like 4

I've had a session with the 6x30. Sadly it was very misty so didn't see much!

Interestingly the optical quality seems quite good. It doesn't seem out of place on the Tak :smile:

• Like 2

I was useful last night. I gave up on Virgo though as it was too hazy. In the direction of Boötes I couldn't see below mag 4, which is getting normal for my LP. The 6x30 easily picked up the line from ξ Boo to ζ Boo which means I can now star hop successfully.

I did note due to eye relief that eye positioning is critical to avoid tunnel effects both in and out.

• Like 2

Think I have said this elsewhere on the forum. The first time I looked through a TAK 6x30 finder I laughed out loud. The contrast and sharpness on the moon took me by surprise. Which only heightened the excitement and prospect of looking through my newly acquired FC100DF. Five/six years later its no less impressive but like so many other comments here wish it was right angled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve only just acquired this 6x30 (delivered today) and it gave a very good, sharp image on next doors chimney stack😉 during setup.IMG_0731.thumb.jpeg.b04579e100c66028bde783265bfba3d2.jpeg
I’d be happier if it were right angled, but hey, it matches the vixen tube rings and it didn’t cost the earth ( compared to the rest of the kit!)

It’s forecast to be reasonably clear here for the next two nights, so fingers crossed and I can test it out on the night sky.

• Like 2

The Vixen 6x30 got its first light albeit for a limited time. Venus, low in the NW here, showed up nicely in the eyepiece, close to centre (Baäder Zoom at 24mm); Vega next, with ζ Lyrae, again centrally; then Arcturus and ζ Boötes before clouds came in around 10:30pm. Seeing conditions weren’t great, but I was pleased with my finder setup efforts . The crosshairs on this finder are thinner than my previous, a Meade 7x50, so, with my limited experience (dataset of two), I can’t add much to that part of the discussion.
Finally, if seeing is better tomorrow (there’s always hope!) I’ll add more, if  there’s relevance.

• Like 1