Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography at home

Hi I want to start using a remote telescope and then edit the images taken on my windows computer.   I joined slooh.com and used their telescopes but the images taken aren't great.   I heard about the website called itelescope.net, I saw the images taken by their telescopes and they look better than the ones taken by the slooh telescopes.   My worry isit looks complicated to download images then unzip the files to edit then editing I need help with as I haven't edited before.   Would anyone here be able to help me to get started in setting up itelescope and how to use it please?   I've watched the guy on YouTube explaining how to use itelescope and how to edit but he talks quickly and doesn't explain properly.

Ash

In order to edit (we tend to say 'process') an astrophoto, you'll need software. There are really two kinds, astro-specific packages and general photo-editing packages. I don't know if there are any free astro-specific packages but the obvious choice for a free generic photo-processing package would be GIMP. This is essentially a free imitation of Photoshop.

More and more serious astropotographers use only astro-specific software. I'm one of those who does not. I take some initial steps in the astro-specific package Pixinsight but I quickly move into Photoshop after that.

If you went with GIMP, the first thing to understand would be the Levels and Curves routine.  I'm sure there will be lots of websites covering this but do be aware that some of them are totally incompetent!

Olly

Siril is a free alternative to Pixinsight.

Post processing can be a vast topic, you won't find one video that teaches it all. I tend to stack in Deep Sky Stacker or Siril, then do all my pre processing in Siril (crop, background extraction, initial levels stretch) before using Photoshop or GIMP to do the rest which is where most of the work is. 

In terms of videos there are a lot out there, I tend to find Trevor Jones Astrobackyard easy to listen to and follow, as well as Sarah Maths (Matthews), Lukomatico, Cuiv the Lazy Geek. Some assume prior knowledge of software some don't. You might find you need to look at videos of general processing for each specific software, or even each specific function as there's more than one way to edit an image.

Hi Ash, I don't have any experience with itelescope but I saw that they have a tutorial support. I know you will be keen to get involved with acquiring the data, using a telescope, but if you want to try your hand at processing you could try some of the data FLO provides to us from the IKI observatory (see link below).  I reckon processing is the hardest part of astrophotography, I just don't have a head for it I guess.  I wonder then if before you shoot off trying deep sky objects, maybe using Registax (another free program) to process a simple video capture of the moon may give you some enjoyment and would be a better introduction.  Registax will allow you to stack the individual video frames and then adjust parameters to draw out detail. All you need to start is a simple and short video capture of the moon - might be worth thinking about.

Here's the link to the IKI data on the forum. If you want to process any of this data you would need some of the software as has been suggested by others above; GIMP or Siril. One of the most basic steps you could do is to take the luminance file and perform a stretch on it, this will disclose the galaxy or nebula for you to see it. Beyond that, processing is a steep learning curve and I am now out of my depth so can't help any further, but there are lots of talented folk here who will be better placed to help.  The only other thing I would add is really try the free software first before you commit money to signing up to anything, this can get expensive quick. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/294-iki-observatory/

https://www.gimp.org/

https://pixinsight.com/            they offer a trial period this would allow you to play with some data from IKI 

https://siril.org/                       I have no experience of this 

https://www.astronomie.be/registax/               for processing your lunar and planetary video data

Jim 

Edited by saac

Note, planetary (solar system objects) and deep sky processing is different. The final steps share some similarities, the early stages are different, unless you choose to edit singular images only (no stacking).

Edited by Elp

18 minutes ago, Elp said:

Note, planetary (solar system objects) and deep sky processing is different. The final steps share some similarities, the early stages are different, unless you choose to edit singular images only (no stacking).

They are indeed, but I thought it may be an easier in to the art of processing and a quick win. Just a suggestion. 

Jim  

Edited by saac

Fair enough. I'd start with a single frame capture of the moon. Get to learn levels, curves, contrast editing and general resizing and cropping. Learn how a histogram works and what it displays. Then learn about layers. Software like Pixinsight might seem fantastic from the outside, from my experience it's better to learn general image editing skills as the knowledge is much easily transferable between software, and you can use such skills with daytime images, actually that might be a better place to start, with daytime images.

I have watched the itelescope tutorials and im not sure i understand them,  they're over my head.   Cant i ask a scope to take an image that doesn't need processing and then download it to my computer?    People on the itelescope discord are sending me links, trying to help me but it all seems complicated.     I want to enjoy astronomy and not get disheartened by it being difficult.    I am disabled and use a wheelchair, i've suffered head injuries so that makes it difficult to understand things.     i found this site, what doi you think?  i looked at memberships and silver is free.    https://www.roboscopes.com/

Edited by alecras2345

If the imaging scope system, or client system, doesn't automatically stack images you'll have to learn how to do that first with something like Deep Sky Stacker, Siril, Pixinsight or others. Roboscopes is a common name within the robotic imaging services out there.

The most basic editing of images once they're stacked involves levels stretching, a stacked image in a linear data state will appear to be almost black with hardly any stars visible, by doing a levels edit, and repeating it a number of times your target and more stars will become visible, it is quite straightforward to do and  I'd say the most basic and essential process to carry out. You can get a decent result just by doing this one process. Unfortunately to get a better result will require more learning.

If astrophotography were easy, more people would be doing it. There usually isn't a one stop shop to take an image of a target of choice and get a finished image straight away (other than using an internet search engine or browsing a site like Astrobin), every person processes images differently but following similar processes and using similar software. With the introduction of Youtube learning new things has become easier than ever. With the introduction of robotic telescopes like EVScope and Stellina and the ever more affordable Dwarf2 and ZWO Seestar, taking the images or seeing live views of targets is getting ever more accessible.

I've found this video and quickly briefed over it, it seems okay to follow and he also uses GIMP which is free to edit the image, note, he has already stacked the images into one stack prior to the video so if you want to do this please refer to my first sentence above. He also provides a link to the data he used in the description so you can follow along. His videos are popular among the AP community. If you're stuggling to follow along just do one step at a time, pause the video and repeat until you understand better, it will be difficult to watch the whole video and do it all in one go, the video is also divided into chapters to make the video easier to navigate.

Hi guys, i was told the other day that if i use the slooh online telescope i don't need to process the images, so i have decided to use slooh telescopes to get images, all I've done with these is crop them a little.    I cant get the hang of processing images using itelescope and others but if by using slooh means no processing the images then its win win.,

Ash

m51.png

eagle2.png

fullm.png

leo triplet.png

You either search an object that you want to image or you can choose a mission by going to what they call slooh 1,000 which is a drop down menu where you choose, planets, moon nebulae, stars galaxies and then in a different menu it tells you what is up and what you cant see.    Say you pick Emission nebulae then in a different  drop down menu it tells you what emission nebula the telescope can see that night.   For example, i want to image the crab nebula but slooh 1,000 tells me M1 isn't visible at the moment.    They have telescopes in Canaries and in chile.   you can only choose 5 missions in a day for that night or in next few nights.    If you search an object you can choose which telescope you want to use canaries or chile,  also it tells you the weather forecast for a certain night.

Ash

Edited by alecras2345
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2023 at 17:21, alecras2345 said:

If you search an object you can choose which telescope you want to use canaries or chile,  also it tells you the weather forecast for a certain night.

Hope you are enjoying it Ash 🙂 Good luck. Images look great

My membership to slooh has run out which was paid for 2 years by a guy from Liverpool astronomy club.   I like to use slooh to get images from their telescopes.    Is it worth it for me to pay £40.00 for a 12 month subscription?    Their homepage which they call a dashboard is strange,  theres no interaction with other members, they only way to interact with other members is by using discord.    Also they have live star party streams which are like at 4 5 o clock in  the morning here.   So i dont know if its worth joining again.   Like i said i only like the images.

Ash

28 minutes ago, alecras2345 said:

My membership to slooh has run out which was paid for 2 years by a guy from Liverpool astronomy club.   I like to use slooh to get images from their telescopes.    Is it worth it for me to pay £40.00 for a 12 month subscription?    Their homepage which they call a dashboard is strange,  theres no interaction with other members, they only way to interact with other members is by using discord.    Also they have live star party streams which are like at 4 5 o clock in  the morning here.   So i dont know if its worth joining again.   Like i said i only like the images.

Ash

Hi Ash, I'm sure you've said before you can't observe outside because you are affected by the cold, but if you have access to a garden you might want to consider a telescope like this:   ZWO Seestar It's new on the market (and not available for a couple of months), but it seems to provide all the automation you need in a small, easily portable package. You can set it up outside and connect to it using your phone/tablet and have full control over what it points at. You can view the images on your phone and don't need to do any processing.

The downside is it costs £459, so would be about 11 years of Slooh membership. The Seestar would give you flexibility over what you look at,  but if you are getting enjoyment out of the Slooh membership then it seems a cheaper way to continue the hobby. Only you can decide!

1 hour ago, alecras2345 said:

would you pay to use slooh?

I've had a look at the website, and I can't see a membership for less than £100, and if you go for the space enthusiast membership it will cost £160 per year so my calculations above may change the perceived value for money. 

Our situations are different so whether or not I would use Slooh shouldn't really enter in the decision - only you can decide if you get enough enjoyment out of using the service to justify the cost. Looking back to your previous email you mention interaction with other members - you won't get that with a Seestar (or similar) either. I don't know if you are able to travel, but if you want interaction it looks like there are three astronomical societies in North Wales - are you able to get to any of those?

Llandyrnog Astronomical Society

North Wales Astronomy Society

Gwynedd Astronomical Society

yes ive been to North Wales Astronomy Society and felt daunted as they were discussing advanced nuclear physics, so i havent been back there since.   Slooh.com has as student membership which is fifty dollars so around 40 pounds.     

Ash

12 hours ago, alecras2345 said:

yes ive been to North Wales Astronomy Society and felt daunted as they were discussing advanced nuclear physics, so i havent been back there since.   Slooh.com has as student membership which is fifty dollars so around 40 pounds.     

Ash

It's not uncommon for astronomy societies to have a mix of talks as they have to cater for people of all levels. IT might be worth keeping an eye on their upcoming meetings to see if there is something more suitable for a beginner.