Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

manual Telescope and phone app use

On 23/05/2023 at 10:33, Artik said:

SKeye uses compass for orientation (and for me was highly innacurate) while AstroHopper relies on gyro - sensors that exists in smart phones for AR/VR and have decent accuracy.

Are you sure about this?  I found this blurb on the SkEye website:

Whenever SkEye is in automatic scrolling mode, SkEye gathers data from two or three sensors in your Android device: the accelerometer, magnetometer and gyroscope (if available).

I've found it accurate enough to put objects within 2 degrees of the optical axis.  It's hard to complain about a free app.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

Are you sure about this?  I found this blurb on the SkEye website:

Whenever SkEye is in automatic scrolling mode, SkEye gathers data from two or three sensors in your Android device: the accelerometer, magnetometer and gyroscope (if available).

I've found it accurate enough to put objects within 2 degrees of the optical axis.  It's hard to complain about a free app.

Note AstroHopper uses magnetometer only for initial direction and it is not really needed and can be overridden while after alignment only accelerometers and gyro are used. From what I recall it uses complicated magnetometer calibration method to make it more accurate for some it works for me it didn't maybe something was improved since.

And finally AstroHopper is not only free as - no money it is also free as liberty - it is  open source.

Now typical accuracy of AstroHopper is quite high especially on shorted hops - I could brings object consistently to FOV of less than 1 degree.