SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro images

Hi guys do you know of an online telescope I can use which after its captured an image you don't have to edit?    I was looking at telescope.live which looks good, it's 4 pound a month but you have  to post edit the images.   Or maybe editing them is easy I've never done it?   Is there a similar site where you don't edit the images?

Ash

All images need processing afterwards.   Deep sky because they are hidden in the darkness and need bringing out.  

You might get away with it on the Moon.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

As Olly has said earlier, If you want to view finished Astro images there are countless sites on the internet that provide this service, please do take a look at his inspirational work or look through the Imaging section here on SGL. There are also a lot of sites where you can purchase time on a telescope to capture your own data, or purchase image datasets from them, but come to think of it, I’m not sure if there are sites that will take your captured data and process it for a fee.

However, there are lots of able imagers here on SGL who will gladly process your data for nothing, if you make the request and post the data (or a link to it) on the forum.  Most of us do enjoy the journey to learn how to use the processing software to arrive at a finished image but I can see how getting a good result early on with the minimum of effort can have its appeal.

Sorry if this reply doesn’t really cover what you are looking for.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

No, the editing is the fun that people buy into when they buy telescope and camera time.

Ready made images are already out there. Mine are here: https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other

If you'd like any of these, you're welcome. Just PM me.

Olly

Damn, I thought it was the capturing that was the fun!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, alecras2345 said:

So if I sign up to telescope.live I'll have to edit the images?    I've never edited,  

Ash

You've never altered an image captured with your phone? It's not that hard tbh. Have a look at some images of the objects you're interested in and attempt to replicate them. That's the only useful way of learning how to do it! You could try to use your phone to take an image of the moon and see how that turns out. Really, it's not that hard, and up to a certain level, even quite fun!

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

The closest you will get to a pre processed image is with one of the smart telescopes. They produce a semi processed image which can then be refined and enhanced with further processing. These telescopes range from £400 to 2K+.

Astro phoptography is a two part job.

a) the capture

b) the post processing.

they both take a lot of learning but very rewarding when it all comes together and you see the results of your hard work.

There are some people who simply buy already captured data and process it.   

Carole 

Below are is a ‘before’ and ‘after’ image of the Montes Appenninus on the Moon taken with an Olympus C2040 digital compact camera [with a CLA-1 adapter/ring] attached to my ETX105 with a 20mm Meade Plossl inserted into an eyepiece projection unit.

p3130001-original.thumb.jpg.6d8f771345d35fe659758e51c157ac91.jpg<— before process/edit.

p3130001-enhanced.thumb.jpg.4d5cc4989d96b52e2bb88531e6f6e710.jpg<— after process/edit.

Edited by Philip R

For imaging the processing is all.

You will frequently hear purely visual astronomers, especially the "dob mob" talk about "the thrill of the chase" hunting down impossibly faint fuzzies through star hopping. For imagers the "thrill of the chase" happens when you have your data in front of you on the computer and you try to tease out faint tidal structures or IFN from the background.

Even if your circumstances preclude having your own imaging rig and you have to acquire data from a robotic telescope, you can still participate in teasing out those faint structures.

There is also the thrill of the chase in getting all your imaging kit to work properly. I recently took a portable set up on holiday to capture an elusive object down near the Southern horizon. I had the rig working perfectly at home on the patio, but could I make it work at the holiday location? Nah!😕

• Sad 1