Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

there's the last one - just loaded in Siril, background calibrated, histogram stretched and saved as a jpg - nowt else. so it's roughly how it would have look on the tablet/phone at the time - sorry didn't actually bother saving the ones to the phone as knew I was going to stack

Stacked_NGC 6888_10.0s_20231006-205248.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

I suppose the D2 is OK on big targets but not so good on small like ring nebula etc

Maybe thats the answer, hit a few of the larger targets with the d2 and then move on to the ss50 later. I  am looking forward to seeing a few d2 images, so please do post any you get.

22 minutes ago, M40 said:

Maybe thats the answer, hit a few of the larger targets with the d2 and then move on to the ss50 later. I  am looking forward to seeing a few d2 images, so please do post any you get.

Only edited on snapseed, so not that good.

Packman nebula. 

1695288509204-01.jpeg.4e87735383427bc59e5c7498a06e8e56.jpeg

Heart nebula. 

1692142599748-01-01-01.thumb.jpeg.d1df03d79e94e81de274459156b33d97.jpeg

Pleadies. 

1691668550582-01.thumb.jpg.6de760a4eb3f80a6b34a0ce3d0402d6c.jpg

Andromeda 

1687394525553-01-01.thumb.jpeg.3eae3df17bab1620af0d1e4437fcc70f.jpeg

• Like 2

On 17/10/2023 at 15:39, Elp said:

adapt and use it in EQ mode 

"Adapt" sounds like it may not be in the manual (yet?)
Do you have any links to discussions on this possibility.
Did you see it here in Stargazers or 'elsewhere'.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, MalcolmP said:

"Adapt" sounds like it may not be in the manual (yet?)
Do you have any links to discussions on this possibility.
Did you see it here in Stargazers or 'elsewhere'.

Thanks.

One of Cuivs the Lazy Geeks videos on YouTube he demonstrated it, at the time I believe it was a beta version or developer feature mode of the software, I'm unsure whether the option has been officially input into a new software release.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elp said:

One of Cuivs the Lazy Geeks videos on YouTube he demonstrated it

Thanks ! 

Found it for the D2  :
HOWTO: Setup your Smart Telescope in Equatorial Mode, like a PRO!
https://youtu.be/X9rIk6skTU8

and a big NO! for the SS50, with no plans upcoming, section8 at 11:00m in :
ZWO Seestar S50: YOUR Questions ANSWERED! Does this smart telescope cheat?
https://youtu.be/7KmuxZsHCDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KmuxZsHCDM&t=660s

Edited by MalcolmP
  • Like 1

Yeh the s50 is just too big to do eq stable.long integrations without rotation are a usp of the d2 over the s50. As I've said earlier they are both powerful tools with their own unique specialities. It's easy to get frustrated if your trying to use it outside its envelope (e.g. Small dsos with the d2, long integrations with the s50). Stick in the sweet spot and both and very capable and entertaining I think.

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 3

I have to ask, has anyone grabbed / picked up the Central Star in the Ring Nebula with their SS ? It would be a real challenge, even with some pretty good conventional scopes it is / can be !  Usually conventional AP has been the answer.

IMG_4522.jpeg.ea6179984663bb9e9ac795632ddf3340.jpeg

Edited by LDW1

On 19/10/2023 at 16:12, Dave scutt said:

Can't seem to open those files

on my mobile no laptop 

What mobile OS ? If Andoid read on , , i
I have Gimp (free) on Windows desktop and it opens those fits so --  
there is a GIMP app for Android on G.Play, might be worth a try but could be a bit of a challenge to do much on a small screen !  ( at £1.70, but is that one off or monthly, I dont know the pricing structure of GP )

Thanks to @powerlord for showing ' original out of device ' capability, better than images of the capability of downstream software !

30 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

What mobile OS ? If Andoid read on , , i
I have Gimp (free) on Windows desktop and it opens those fits so --  
there is a GIMP app for Android on G.Play, might be worth a try but could be a bit of a challenge to do much on a small screen !  ( at £1.70, but is that one off or monthly, I dont know the pricing structure of GP )

Thanks to @powerlord for showing ' original out of device ' capability, better than images of the capability of downstream software !

Thanks for the head up on the gimp app

5 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

It was cropped , you get field rotation if not polar aligned .

100 x 15 subs

Thanks, approx what %  of an individual sub does that represent 
re. fr. yes that is why I asked ! I have stacked powerlord's stacked-fits which shows a large field rotation over the time shift between those stacks

Edited by MalcolmP

On 20/10/2023 at 03:12, MalcolmP said:

Thanks ! Found it for the D2  :
HOWTO: Setup your Smart Telescope in Equatorial Mode

and a big NO! for the SS50, with no plans upcoming,

I am wondering if there is more to it than a weight/structure problem. (massive great Celestron cats on wedges get on ok with a single leg "fork" design) ie. perhaps the software does not accomodate it. *
Cuiv, being an experimental fella, probably tried it -6months after doing it on D2-,  and found that it didnt work onthe SS50 and was told by ZWO that there would not be an upgrade.

*There are several ways of doing the spherical trig, ideally three sets of calibration data are required for a free 360d solution. But computation can be eased if one set is assumed to be relative the local(device) horizon in which, with the advent of plate solving, minor offsets from the horizontal can be corrected on a second minor platesolved move. To tilt the device horizon effective mis-set  by that required to pretend a polar shift would be more than a tad too much !  -perhaps, just thinking aloud , , ,

It looks like the D2 does a full set and is obscured only by the front lower orifice.

Edited by MalcolmP

2 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

Confusion is a every day thing with this hobby🤔🤔

Verily !

Do you have either the D2 or SS50 to ease our dilemmas?

PS dont even try either of those books in the Russian, I bailed half way through B.K. book 1 !! 

Draw a circle in th middle of an uncropped frame to the edge.

Draw a square inside the circle to it's edges.

That is your worst case crop.

Buy really, as I've said before the s50 is not designed for long integration times. Be content with 30 mins, and it's fine.

Edited by powerlord

3 hours ago, powerlord said:

Draw a circle in th middle of an uncropped frame to the edge.

Draw a square inside the circle to it's edges.

That is your worst case crop.

Buy really, as I've said before the s50 is not designed for long integration times. Be content with 30 mins, and it's fine.

never having tried long periods on one target, in fact had little chance to use mine with odd work hours and weather this month, might it perhaps be better to do as suggested in one of Cuiv's videos to obtain the longer integration times?

As in run a shorter capture 30-60 mins and repeat over several nights?

Of course anyone wanting to do that spanning the next couple weeks would need to consider the BST-GMT time change next weekend and adjust the start time accordingly.

Edited by DaveL59

9 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

Verily !

Do you have either the D2 or SS50 to ease our dilemmas?

PS dont even try either of those books in the Russian, I bailed half way through B.K. book 1 !! 

Sorry I don't have either Scopes yet, you're dilemmas will continue as will mine🤔