NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

I think it was more to do with connecting to your home WiFi network and the requirement to unhide the routers SSID/name in order to connect it all up. I've had devices which would not connect to a hidden network SSID, it was simple to unhide it then hide it again and the device would continue to stay connected. In this world of everything connected, it's good practice to implement any security you can (custom passwords, ssids, hidden ssids, firewalls, filtered Mac address lists etc). At the minimum level, people could be tapping into your internet WiFi and using up the bandwidth for free. My asiairs, I leave open but with coded/concatenated names so you don't know what it is just by the name, the passwords are customised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

I think it was more to do with connecting to your home WiFi network and the requirement to unhide the routers SSID/name in order to connect it all up. I've had devices which would not connect to a hidden network SSID, it was simple to unhide it then hide it again and the device would continue to stay connected. In this world of everything connected, it's good practice to implement any security you can (custom passwords, ssids, hidden ssids, firewalls, filtered Mac address lists etc). At the minimum level, people could be tapping into your internet WiFi and using up the bandwidth for free. My asiairs, I leave open but with coded/concatenated names so you don't know what it is just by the name, the passwords are customised.

But we can't all get so parnoid that we all look over our shoulders at everything, as with the SeeStar world, its a smart telescope used for astro enjoyment not a world of big investment, big banking or big TV movie watching for that matter. As mentioned how many times have irregularities been brought out to make it ....... !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elp said:

Like I said, I don't think the comments were about hiding the Seestar unit, it was to do with the home WiFi connection and revealing and opening that.

Thats what my last post is about, what it implies.

Just now, Elp said:

Like I said, I don't think the comments were about hiding the Seestar unit, it was to do with the home WiFi connection and revealing and opening that.

Yep, it was the issue to get it to connect since you can't manually add one with a hidden SSID. Also unhiding and rehiding doesn't work as next power up it won't connect at all it seems or at least didn't when I was testing 😞 

In terms of security of the device or any other, there's been lots of vulnerabilities uncovered over time for WiFi and Internet protocols. Any firmware that doesn't get regular updates at least on security is a risk as in fact your router can also be. How often do you update that, for example? In some cases your ISP will remotely do that at least while they support that model, but if like me you run a non-ISP router they can't so that'd be down to you.

3 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Yep, it was the issue to get it to connect since you can't manually add one with a hidden SSID. Also unhiding and rehiding doesn't work as next power up it won't connect at all it seems or at least didn't when I was testing 😞 

In terms of security of the device or any other, there's been lots of vulnerabilities uncovered over time for WiFi and Internet protocols. Any firmware that doesn't get regular updates at least on security is a risk as in fact your router can also be. How often do you update that, for example? In some cases your ISP will remotely do that at least while they support that model, but if like me you run a non-ISP router they can't so that'd be down to you.

I have very rarely heard of anything but as you said to each his own.  And as I mentioned I don't think the vast majority will get as involved.  Just curious as to your thoughts !  Clear Skies to you !

4 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

haha thanks, that'd be a rare and unusual thing here in the UK 😉

Yes but at least when it happens Dave our data and wifi will be secure - can't get better than that :) 

Jim 

• Haha 2

Genius or pointless ? I've just stuck a gopro mount to the pivot point. Gopro 1/4 camera clip let's me quickly attach any camera. Here is an apsc m100, and my rx100 mk4 for example, but could be any camera within reason

You now have an "AZ Gti" as well. You'll need an intervalometer either in camera or plugged into it to shoot subs, but can now shoot the target at different fields of view, much higher resolution or whatever. Simples !

20231002_092540.jpg

20231002_092646.jpg

20231002_093626.jpg

20231002_093915.jpg

20231002_093928.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Genius or pointless ? I've just stuck a gopro mount to the pivot point. Gopro 1/4 camera clip let's me quickly attach any camera. Here is an apsc m100, and my rx100 mk4 for example, but could be any camera within reason

You now have an "AZ Gti" as well. You'll need an intervalometer either in camera or plugged into it to shoot subs, but can now shoot the target at different fields of view, much higher resolution or whatever. Simples !

20231002_092540.jpg

20231002_092646.jpg

20231002_093626.jpg

20231002_093915.jpg

20231002_093928.jpg

Does that create any weight issues for the SeeStars ?

Whether its pointless or not depends on your pov . Maybe another string to the bow ?

who knows. not tried it, but it sounds pretty much like the azgti when it moves - plenty torque. plus, as it's mounted at the pivot point there's really no extra weight on motor to move really - I mean I reckon you'd probably be able to stuff a DSLR on there with a SY135 easy enuf.

I mean, I've got an obsy with 'real' mounts.. so I'm not gonna do this at home other than as an experiment.. BUT.. as for making the S50 a more vesatile travel mount for holidays, away in motorhome, etc - could be useful. It's bigger than an AZ GTI though, and I'd be using the azgti in EQ mode... so all in all - for me - I dunno-- maybe ?? I'll have to try it.

But for others who are probably beginning or well.. the more typical market for the S50 - yes - I think they should definately have a go. Shooting with something like a 70-150mm equiv with a compact camera should give a decent result I'd have thought over 30 sec exposures or so (will test), and once cropped for rotation should give some nice stuff. Or even wider milkway shots - why not ? You are effectively sort of adding a possible wide angle lens to the extreme ~1600mm equiv lens of the S50. And go pro mounts peal off leaving no marks, so nothing damaged.

Your main issue is making sure your camera has some sort of at least basic intervalometer. The m100 for example does not support remotes other than bluetooth and wifi, so you either have to use a phone and intervalometer app, which gets messy, or settle for bluetooth remote and manually pressing it (urg). But assuming you have a camera with a basic intervalometer, I think it is well worth a go

• Like 1

Neat idea Stu, tho I think the weight issue isn't as simple as mounting it where you have. Perhaps fine at or close to level and with a very light camera, but aimed high and the weight will be pulling the S50 "arm" backward so could add a load to the gearing that isn't desirable. I wouldn't try that with, for example my Sony A77ii DSLR as that's pretty heavy even without lenses. Now the little Fuji bridge camera might work but given that's only 3MP hardly worth the effort.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, powerlord said:

20231002_092540.jpg

20231002_092646.jpg

20231002_093626.jpg

20231002_093915.jpg

20231002_093928.jpg

Talk about extra weight, overloading, lol !  Just a matter of time before parts fatigue sets in, it has to and what do you gain, lol ! Good Luck !   PS:  Hopefully no one follows along with this !

Edited by LDW1

5 hours ago, powerlord said:

Genius or

I like it :)

With a bit of luck the clever engineers at ZWO will have designed in a slipping clutch to guard against unfortunate accidents, , , and mad genii :) 
So perhaps you will not have to test your sample to destruction for us all !!

• Like 1

Also, just a note to say my batch of prints in black resin rather than nylon are printing now in china, so should be available in 10 days or so. I'll update when here.

I've not seen anyone do a tear down of an S50 yet - only the CAD pics from ZWO from a while back. I think I might take mine to bits and take some pictures - it'll be interesting and will also help answer questions about gearing strength, etc - though my guess is a very similar construction to the az gti - which you can over limit by 300% and still works good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powerlord said:

my guess is a very similar construction to the az gti - which you can over limit by 300% and still works good.

What do you mean? It can take a 15kg OTA?

Well for now I've given up. I took base screws out and battery, but nothing obvious then. I tried a splunger to unclip the plastic and that worked a bit, but not so it felt right. It looks like the side with the power button on should come off. So at that point I gave up for now.

Looking like a bit of clear sky tomorrow so will try my two compact cameras with it. I've got an intervalomter for the rx100mk4. For the m100, I've got an elastic band..I'll avoid hanging my 300mm canon L USM f4 off it for now though.  😁

The pure lack of hassle to setup - no alignment, etc, means I'm thinking it just might be ideal for travel..the s50 confirming remotely what I'm pointing at, but the camera shooting hires (remote over WiFi possible there too). If I choose targets that fill middle half of screen to avoid rotation issues. Eg:

XXOOXX

XXOOXX

so should get 1/2 resolution of camera you use in a square format - so M100: 12mb. Rx100mk4: 10mp

I mean, worst case anyway depending on how much rotation there is.

But I'm thinking better for wide field anyway where your integration time is going to be limited to a few hours probably anyway - milkway shots, up to 70mm or so perhaps.

stu

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

Must admit I'm also curious as to its innards but resisting the temptation to try dismantling it so far. White it works I'll not void the warranty unnecessarily 😉 

Give it a few months Dave and a few cloudy nights and that feeling will pass, it always does :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

Busy all weekend and no clear skies here since delivery on Friday in any event, but at last I'm having a play tonight. Just got it setup to work with in home wifi mode with a repeater, so the network signal gets down the garden. Current forecast is for clear skies both Friday and Saturday day and night so I want to be ready (Friday and Saturday! When does that ever happen? Hope it holds.)

Couple of things I've observed tonight:

(1) There doesn't seem to be a setting to forget individual network settings. Once they are set, they are locked in until the reset key is pressed. I've had to reset and start again from scratch to forget my home router and to switch from 5GhZ to 2.4GhZ signal (newly bought repeater turns out to be 2.4GhZ only). 

(2) The battery seems to drain surprisingly fast - down to 92% after an hour of fiddling with the network. Looks like an external battery will be needed once the SeeStar is called on to do any extended observing.

(3) The short tripod might be a problem - spent 30 minutes with the SeeStar set up at the end of the garden making sure I could connect from indoors, and when I brought the SeeStar back inside I found a juicy snail that had made its way to a centimetre from the aperture - a cleaning job I'd prefer to avoid!

• Like 1