Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus April 7th IR850/UV false colour.

Space Cowboy

That's a nice image with nice cloud details.

If I were you, I would try align the IR layer more to the left to avoid the red fringing. I think that's a result of a less sharp UV edge. I see that with my captures too.

I noticed you do not have a synthetic green as others usually do, including me. A reason for this?

20 minutes ago, Kon said:

That's a nice image with nice cloud details.

If I were you, I would try align the IR layer more to the left to avoid the red fringing. I think that's a result of a less sharp UV edge. I see that with my captures too.

I noticed you do not have a synthetic green as others usually do, including me. A reason for this?

Thanks Kostas. The measurement in winjupos may have been slightly off for the IR.

Didn't know I needed a synthetic green 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Kostas. The measurement in winjupos may have been slightly off for the IR.

Didn't know I needed a synthetic green 🙂 

I meant more the edges. Although winjupos will be fine, the UV at least in my processing is a bit less sharp than the IR and harder to align correctly. The green will probably help with colour balance. Saying that your colour looks very nice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kon said:

I meant more the edges. Although winjupos will be fine, the UV at least in my processing is a bit less sharp than the IR and harder to align correctly. The green will probably help with colour balance. Saying that your colour looks very nice.

It's all very experimental at the moment. The IR was taken through an apple tree with a floppy filter which has now been secured with an O ring.

QHY in their wisdom provided unmounted filters with the QHY5-iii-585 so I've had to butcher one of my own cells and transplant the filter which is thinner glass hence the O ring to secure. 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kon said:

Used a less sharpened IR for this version :

2023-04-07-1914_0-SJG-LR(G)B.png

2023-04-07-2021_2-SJG-IR-Ven_lapl5_ap4 less.png

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 2

Looking good Stuart. Its a pleasing result mixing UV into IR for colour.  I like this balance.

Personally I am not sure there is a correct colour balance for this kind of thing.  As I am unsure if it can even be calibrated for at capture.  Of course weights can be adjusted after the fact. But not sure that could be seen as true calibration. So what ever balance one chooses or prefers after capture is likely just for its pleasing effect.

Not sure there could be a true standard. In visible light. Created from spectrums outside of visible light. Really only useful for aesthetic purposes. But that's the nature of invisible wavelengths as we only really get to see a portion of the red and blue that's inherent  in IR UV wavelengths 

So under interpretation if ever I've seen it 

Edited by neiil phillips

5 hours ago, neiil phillips said:

Looking good Stuart. Its a pleasing result mixing UV into IR for colour.  I like this balance.

Personally I am not sure there is a correct colour balance for this kind of thing.  As I am unsure if it can even be calibrated for at capture.  Of course weights can be adjusted after the fact. But not sure that could be seen as true calibration. So what ever balance one chooses or prefers after capture is likely just for its pleasing effect.

Not sure there could be a true standard. In visible light. Created from spectrums outside of visible light. Really only useful for aesthetic purposes. But that's the nature of invisible wavelengths as we only really get to see a portion of the red and blue that's inherent  in IR UV wavelengths 

So under interpretation if ever I've seen it 

Thanks Neil. It's good to hear people's opinions as there is no set rule with Venus.

As Kostas said the IR was burning through on the first image. To be fair the IR is only providing colour on this as seeing and elevation had nosedived for the IR shots.

Next time I'll use my old Windows 10 laptop with the qhy mono as the cam's drivers don't support windows 11. Had it running at full speed using FC v2.4 on win 10.

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Neil. It's good to hear people's opinions as there is no set rule with Venus.

As Kostas said the IR was burning through on the first image. To be fair the IR is only providing colour on this as seeing and elevation had nosedived for the IR shots.

Next time I'll use my old Windows 10 laptop with the qhy mono as the cam's drivers don't support windows 11. Had it running at full speed using FC v2.4 on win 10.

One reason i haven't switched to windows 11 with the Ryzen. Don't want the hassle of wishing i had stayed put. 

• Like 1