Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Locating craters on the Moon

Grump Martian

I looked forward to this evenings event with the Suns light shining through the wall of Hesiodus crater. Thanks to the heads up post by Nyctimene.

I studied my Hamlyn Atlas of The Moon. But found that my understanding of the phases and how to locate craters through a refractor were poor indeed. I wounder if there is an Atlas of The Moon that shows maps with a particular phase with the correct orientation as seen through a refractor.

• Like 1

Hi Martin. The atlas suggested by littleguy80 is good. If you have an ipad or android tablet there is an app that I use both on my iphone and ipad that is free and shows the phase of the moon, and you can flip the view to match what you see in your scope. Here’s an image of Hesiodus flipped to show the view through a ‘frac. You can also search for specific craters also. I am not aware of any hard copy maps that show phases as such.

34669683-50E0-4A68-A157-41DFD740D36A.thumb.png.026f5cbe89f2db1fada544632384289c.png

1908DB37-E129-4AF4-A02B-0D0F7E09443F.png

4A92D212-6910-4132-9873-A265AF79C2DF.png

569B1659-3075-4904-A536-90A086568995.png

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grump Martian said:

I looked forward to this evenings event with the Suns light shining through the wall of Hesiodus crater. Thanks to the heads up post by Nyctimene.

I studied my Hamlyn Atlas of The Moon. But found that my understanding of the phases and how to locate craters through a refractor were poor indeed. I wounder if there is an Atlas of The Moon that shows maps with a particular phase with the correct orientation as seen through a refractor.

Sky & Telescope produce a laminated map of the Moon. You can choose from with south top as seen through a reflector, or a north top image reversed option. I use the latter Every time I observe the Moon and its excellent. However, if you want a truly excellent atlas that shows a refractor view, then the Duplex Moon Atlas is very impressive.

16 hours ago, Grump Martian said:

Sky & Telescope produce a laminated map of the Moon. You can choose from with south top as seen through a reflector, or a north top image reversed option. I use the latter Every time I observe the Moon and its excellent. However, if you want a truly excellent atlas that shows a refractor view, then the Duplex Moon Atlas is very impressive. The images below don't do justice to either the map or Atlas!

S&T laminated (north top, E/W reversed for diagonal users)

2023-03-3114_04_58.thumb.jpg.ad39bbafc2daf3bb466c729ae55799f6.jpg

Duplex refractor/Mak, SCT, & Cassegrain maps,  and Newtonian reflector maps. One of the best, highly detailed atlases I've seen.

20230331_123615.thumb.jpg.e64c5a2228c0e831738477cbe669de84.jpg20230331_140149.thumb.jpg.84c4591184694c3a8bebae64c9707d23.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a CI diagonal, so I prefer a correct/bino view, but I've found the Moon Chart app on my iPhone to be good and I recently installed Moon Maps, which I think will be really good scopeside.

As mentioned, the Virtual Atlas is good and I found a copy of "Atlas of the Lunar Terminator" which has extensive day-by-day views.  "ALT"  is out of print though and the clarity of the photos is not quite up to current standards.

I have a "S&T"  laminated map, but I haven't used it much.

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

I use an erecting prism on my scope - does anyone have recommendations for a map of the moon, with the orientation right way up and right way round, as I’m not too great with orientation 😩

Thanks in advance

Edited by DPF

On 24/03/2024 at 08:29, DPF said:

Hi all,

I use an erecting prism on my scope - does anyone have recommendations for a map of the moon, with the orientation right way up and right way round, as I’m not too great with orientation 😩

Thanks in advance

If you want a map, I'd echo suggestions for the Sky & Telescope correct image (binocular view) map.

I like the Charles Wood atlas, but some people feel the errata list is too long.  It doesn't bother me, but YMMV.

• Like 1