Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera ASI 120 stops working in dark

That doesn't make sense.

How is it setup. Are your exposure settings correct?

Is it in focus within your imaging train, if not, you won't see anything. Focusing on something large like the moon will help.

If you've got the all sky lens with it you can attach that to the front of the camera, manually adjust the focus of the lens, and just point it at the sky without attaching it to anything else to see what it picks up.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elp said:

That doesn't make sense.

How is it setup. Are your exposure settings correct?

Is it in focus within your imaging train, if not, you won't see anything. Focusing on something large like the moon will help.

If you've got the all sky lens with it you can attach that to the front of the camera, manually adjust the focus of the lens, and just point it at the sky without attaching it to anything else to see what it picks up.

20230329_103619.jpg

FB_IMG_1679590513882.jpg

Focus is good and all functions of the software work fine. This afternoon I tried it both installed in the scope and not installed.  When I put the camera in the dark, the live feed interface stopped and that progression scroll would start indicating image processing in pricess.  Makes absolutely no sense to me either. Oh, one final thing. What the camera sees makes no difference. I blocked it off from light and live view worked fine. Only when the camera body itself is covered or in the dark does it quit interfacing. 

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

@Dave Quick Please excuse my ignorance, but where is the camera in the photo of the telescope ? Normally the camera would be attached to the visual back (rear) of the telescope or focuser.

Doesn't the Meade have an internal mirror to divert the image beam up to an ep at the top of the tube (hidden by the finder in photo?)

Edited by fwm891

They'd be no reason it would stop working when coupled into your imaging train, the only way that would happen is if the light path is physically blocked.

Check your cables aren't flexing out of position too, the default cables supplied with the camera are usually not very good.

On the software side try zwo's asi studio to make things simpler as it's their own software.

• Like 1

As an ASI120MC owner and Sharpcap user, I'd say that this doesn't make sense.  Clearly you want the ASI120MC to work with the telescope.  There are quite a few reasons why it might not: 

You have set a totally wrong exposure time.

The camera/optical trail is not in focus. If it doesn't work, how can you focus it?  Focus is critical - even bright objects like Jupiter can disappear if not in focus.

Some physical barrier eg flip mirror or dense filter, is blocking the light path.

Unreliable cable connections.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Doesn't the Meade have an internal mirror to divert the image beam up to an ep at the top of the tube (hidden by the finder in photo?)

True. The imaging path would be better if the camera was attached to the visual back rather than the ep port on the top. I don't see a camera there though either.

Nothing wrong with a flip mirror, I use them often with my refractor, but sometimes you do have a doh moment and wonder why you're not seeing an image. I strongly suspect the light path is being blocked.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fwm891 said:

in

Screenshot_20230330-110108_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230330-110134_Gallery.jpg

As has been suggested:

1. Make sure it's in infinity focus, if it's not in focus at night you won't see anything but the blackness of black.

2. Increase the exposure time, just moving the scope around during long exposure you'll see stars as lines across the sensor as long as the scope isn't moving too fast. Use the moon if it's out, the best object to test rough night time focus.

3. Check visually if you can see anything before putting the camera in, you might need to readjust focus for the camera once it's put in. Just use the camera nosepiece adaptor on the front of the camera and insert into scope spacer ring/diagonal.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Guys I seem to have found the problem. I shifted my attention away from the camera to my laptop. I always keep the webcam on my laptop covered with tape. I removed that tape and although I have no clue how this would all tie together, that fixed the problem..One for the books for sure...

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Dave Quick said:

Guys I seem to have found the problem. I shifted my attention away from the camera to my laptop. I always keep the webcam on my laptop covered with tape. I removed that tape and although I have no clue how this would all tie together, that fixed the problem..One for the books for sure...

That makes no sense either.  Unless you were selecting the laptop camera in Sharpcap (as one can), instead of the ASI120.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

That makes no sense either.  Unless you were selecting the laptop camera in Sharpcap (as one can), instead of the ASI120.

This. Sharpcap can detect your laptops webcam so you must have accidentally connected to this instead.