Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Compression springs

DanDare

Hi,

I'm restoring a 10" truss tube newt and trying to get hold of some compression springs for a mirror cell and spider? I've had a look at a few web sites but they all have a minumum order spend (the lowest I've found so far is £15.00 + delivery):)

I see that Screwfix do a box of various sized springs for £8.99 although no sizes are given and they don't look at all small enough for the spider.

Thanks for looking.

Roy

Oddly enough, I am shortly going to be involved in the same search for a 11½" mirror cell. Are you going with three or four adjustment points. I was going to use four, but did some thinking and decided three would work better.

WH,

Its a three point cell I'm restoring, so the hard work has already been done. So far I've just had to drill a 2.5mm hole in each support and insert a slotted steel pin. I then drilled a slightly larger hole in the base of the cell which the pin sits in - this allows the support to pivot up and down but stops it from sliding away. (With acknowledgements to Barkis for his advice on this). Each support sits on a stainless steel slotted mushroom set screw. I'll give it a paint job in due course. I've attached a picture of the cell as it was when I first dismantled the scope. The supports where originally held in place by springs which had just about rusted away, but you can just see the remains of a couple.

post-14166-133877366141_thumb.jpg

From what I understand a three point cell is fine for this size mirror.

All the best.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Thanks Zog, I think I've sorted the ones for the mirror cell, now just looking around for some smaller ones for the spider/secondary holder.

Roy

Roy,

A long time since you posted, so no idea if this will "find" you!

I'm currently making a cell for a 10" primary. What size springs did you use ?

Thanks

The Aldi springs are very light compared to that garden gate spring, assuming a 10" mirror is as weighty as Astrokev says then I doubt they would do to hold one firm. Here's a picture of the compression spring types in the box anyway, there's lots of tension springs in the box too.

The image is big and 360k so I've linked to it rather than post it.

http://www.marnoch.org/galleryhm/springs.jpg

Archived