Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Jellyfish Nebula under 100% moon

gorann

This was caught under 100% moon last night, so I had to go for something bright like this iconic area. The dual-RASA rig allowed me to catch almost 16 hours before the scopes started imaging the tree line. I like all the central dark nebulosity captured, but I really should go back to it one moonless night to catch more of the dim dust around. A big fight with gradients of course due to the moon. I am just glad we only have one moon and not 92 like Jupiter.....

191 x 5 min caught with RASA8 and ASI2600MC with IDAS NBZ filters. Processed with PI and PS, including nearly all of Russel's magnificent filters (BlurXT, StarXT, NoiseXT and GradientXT)

Is it only me seeing a dog sticking his/her thin tongue into an ear of a puppy?

Cheers & CS, Göran

20230205-6 Jelly RASA1+2 PS13smallSign.jpg

• Like 15

Another winner Göran. And yes, definitely two dogs. 😀 Plenty of detail in the fainter adult dog too.  It's eye, 12 Gem,  is actually a double star but StarXT has turned them into 2 well spaced stars.

Tejat looks to be surrounded by 2 shock waves, which is the identity disc on the dogs black collar. 😁

Alan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, symmetal said:

Another winner Göran. And yes, definitely two dogs. 😀 Plenty of detail in the fainter adult dog too.  It's eye, 12 Gem,  is actually a double star but StarXT has turned them into 2 well spaced stars.

Tejat looks to be surrounded by 2 shock waves, which is the identity disc on the dogs black collar. 😁

Alan

Thanks a lot Alan!

Interesting observation about possible shock waves from Tejat. I now tried to look for these in other images of the area. Almost all have a very blown out Tejat and with disturbing halos (apparently my RASA+ASI2600MC+NBZ filter made a good job at suppressing such artifacts), However, I found this image by Chris Heapy on Astroboin. I think is may even indicate that Tejat may be sending ripples through IC444:

https://www.astrobin.com/281272/

10 hours ago, tomato said:

Lovely deep image, if the Ancients could have NB imaged, this region would be Canis Major and Minor.😉

Thanks Steve! Yes, it is a pity that the Greek did not do much NB imaging😆

9 hours ago, wimvb said:

Yes, I see it too. Nice image, by the way.

52 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Licking a juicy thigh bone maybe?

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, and great that you also see it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Alan!

Interesting observation about possible shock waves from Tejat. I now tried to look for these in other images of the area. Almost all have a very blown out Tejat and with disturbing halos (apparently my RASA+ASI2600MC+NBZ filter made a good job at suppressing such artifacts), However, I found this image by Chris Heapy on Astroboin. I think is may even indicate that Tejat may be sending ripples through IC444:

https://www.astrobin.com/281272/

Yes there are circular like sections that are centred on Tejat which exend quite far. They could be interpreted as halos or flares but the edges look too undefined to be such.

It's interesting that the Chris Heapy image, which is also impressive, doesn't really show the closest shock wave as shown on your image, and Tejat appears more like a mini globular cluster too with the noise processing. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1