NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My head is spinnin. Beginner who don't know where to start.

Hello!

So, as the title says, I'm new to this and I'm in the prosess of getting my equipment. I've ordered a skywatcher 130 heritage, after much consideration. I thought I have done my researchd. And I just found out about lenses,filter, collimination etc. I live in Norway and stuff is not cheap.  What would be the basic equipment for a beginner? Bank isnt really an issue,  but ofc I want to keep costs low. Should I get cheap/more  or expensive/ quality?  Heres a picture of what I want to order.  Thnx

Screenshot_20230127_101941_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Hi and welcom to SGL.

I think first of all describe how your research made you to choose 130P.
It is not a bad scope, or necessarily a wrong choice.
Your anticipated use and expectaions may thought suggest to us something different.

Second DO NOT push the 'buy' button on the accessories you have identified.
At some point you may have use for them. But not yet.
For example you can colimate easily using lower cost non-laser tools.

Keep asking the questions,

David.

• Like 3

Good advice from @Carbon Brush don't rush into any purchase, I know you may want to just get right into it as soon as the scope arrives but as said depending on what you want to do and what your expectations are there may be better things to spend your money on for your needs.

Tell us exactly what you are wanting to do with the scope, I am guessing just visual. but what do you want to see ?

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

Hello 123Star and welcome to the site 👌

You've chosen a great starter telescope, easy to use and store. As mentioned above, I would wait until you have your hands on the telescope before ordering accessories like eyepieces, but there are a few things you may want to start thinking about. Living in Norway I am sure you already have warm clothing but how about a red head torch, a phone app like stellarium to help you find stuff, a dew shield and maybe a moon filter. I did a quick search but couldn't find one but I believe you can get a sock that will go around the open section of the telescope, that will help with dew and stray light. All the best.

• Like 2

Ok, I will hold my urge to buy stuff for now.  I landed on this scope bcs it has good reviews, and it was available to get here from a Norwegian retailer. And it is good mirror and quality. I can also "mod" it, and I guess its easy to sell off ( if Im not pleased or want to upgrade). I am lucky to live close to the ocean,outside the big city and I have warm clothes. I also have a terrace but its close to streetlights. How is it to watch the sky from a fotball field?

To start with I want to see the moon and the planets, then when I learn, move on to deep sky etc. If possible maybe look at the sun. Also to just look out in the void. 

Is it any good sites to order equipment from eu? It is not so much to choose from at Norwegian retailers, and its expensive.

Thnx for the tips!

37 minutes ago, 123Star said:

Ok, I will hold my urge to buy stuff for now.  I landed on this scope bcs it has good reviews, and it was available to get here from a Norwegian retailer. And it is good mirror and quality. I can also "mod" it, and I guess its easy to sell off ( if Im not pleased or want to upgrade). I am lucky to live close to the ocean,outside the big city and I have warm clothes. I also have a terrace but its close to streetlights. How is it to watch the sky from a fotball field?

To start with I want to see the moon and the planets, then when I learn, move on to deep sky etc. If possible maybe look at the sun. Also to just look out in the void. 

Is it any good sites to order equipment from eu? It is not so much to choose from at Norwegian retailers, and its expensive.

Thnx for the tips!

There is a big astro dealer in Bordeaux who are extremely helpful and have large stocks. I have visited the shop in person when staying in France. Have a look at their website. The person we spoke to did not really speak any English, but was still helpful.

https://www.astronomieespaceoptique.com/

• Like 1

The only "essential" accessory that you need is a dust blower to keep eyepieces clean (such as can easily be found on amazon).

You don't need a laser to collimate that telescope. A home-made collimation cap is good enough.

Later on, when you've got more money and decide that you are enjoying astronomy, then you might want to consider a 3.2mm Starguider eyepiece for more magnification. Avoid any eyepieces cheaper than that, as they won't won't get the best out of that particular telescope that you have. It is a nice telescope that can serve you well for many years.

Edited by great_bear
  • Like 1

Please don’t look at the sun with that particular telescope as the focuser will melt due to it being a non metal helical focuser. Other than that the first things I would buy would be a collimation cap as I found making them a pain especially as they are under €10. I would also make a dew shield for it with you being in Norway as the small secondary mirror will quickly mist up in the cold totally spoiling your views. I would also use the eyepieces that are supplied with the scope, especially the 25mm which can be okay before making your eventual upgrades. If you are not conversant with the stars and charts then consider a planisphere or Sky Safari, Stellarium for your phone or tablet. Take your time and go slowly, that way you will make fewer mistakes. I wish you well with your new endeavor. 

Edited by bosun21
Typo
  • Like 1

123star, you have done good thing and with the great advice you have received above you have not made any impulse purchases.

Great advice, colimation cap. Dew shield essential. Eye piece upgrades one at a time, slowly slowly.

At my entry into Astro five years ago I was bought a box of Super Plossl’s. In short they are good 1.25” all metal EPs. 
They are still my eps today. 

I went off a rapid tangent towards Astro photography at a limited level. 
However, I have now mounted my first scope 130 newt Orion on a portable alt az mount, and it is a joy.

Never underestimate what a potent bit of kit a 130 is under darker skies. It has saved my observing sanity as a grab and go so think twice before selling it in the future for an upgrade. You might find you come back to each other a lot later on.

If you can afford it, think about passing it on to a youngster if you know you are done with it. Invest in the future.

Marvin

• Like 1

You could compare with astroshop.eu, they at least also give an option for prices in Norwegian kronor, so expect they also deliver there. Perhaps there are astronomy societies close by where you are that can also give advice, or even try out equipment?

• Like 2

Thanks for the replys! 

Yes, Ive already started thinking how Im going to fix light cover and something with the focuser. I have a app thats called skyview lite, but will look into something better when I get the scoope.

The dewshield, is it the same as the lightcover/shroud? 

Im just gonna wait untill I get the telescope and fix the said things, since it can be done easy. I will look into the home made collimation cap, this is my biggest consern(if it is totally off sight), and check/compare prices on astroshop.

There is this beginners course not far from where I live, Im considering going.  I get the scope on monday, Im so exited!!!!

I’ve changed my earlier post to recommend the 3.2mm Starguider - because mine arrived the other day and I just tested it in my 130P (same mirror as your scope). 

It is a *stunning* eyepiece in that scope, and provides razor sharp detail on the moon with even the tiniest craters clearly visible. 

Some will tell you that a 3.2mm Starguider is “two powerful” that that scope. They are categorically wrong. It’s amazing and you’d have to pay significantly more money to improve on the crisp lunar views it provides.

Edited by great_bear
  • Like 2

On 27/01/2023 at 19:48, great_bear said:

I’ve changed my earlier post to recommend the 3.2mm Starguider - because mine arrived the other day and I just tested it in my 130P (same mirror as your scope). 

It is a *stunning* eyepiece in that scope, and provides razor sharp detail on the moon with even the tiniest craters clearly visible. 

Some will tell you that a 3.2mm Starguider is “two powerful” that that scope. They are categorically wrong. It’s amazing and you’d have to pay significantly more money to improve on the crisp lunar views it provides.

I've recently purchased a 3.2mm Starguider for my 130p, from FLO, and can wholeheartedly agree- brilliant piece of kit  @ a great price.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2023 at 12:48, 123Star said:

Some manufacters/suppliers list dealers.  For example

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/storelocator

https://televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=193

I'm not endorsing them, as I have used only a few of those listed.

Good luck

• Like 1

Regarding a collimator, I received a collimation cap with my Heritage 150p (same scope as yours, only slightly bigger), so if you're lucky, you may find one is included. It worked fine for me. If you don't get one included, you could make one easily or buy one cheaply. Alternatively a Cheshire collimator can be acquired cheaply enough.

Edited by Orange Smartie
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 17:23, 123Star said:

The dewshield, is it the same as the lightcover/shroud? 

Basically No. The light shroud envelopes the tube of the telescope, whereas the dew shield is attached separately on the open end of the tube to actually extend its length therefore giving some protection to your secondary mirror.

• Like 1

I would look hard at a nice variable polarized filter.  I use it for the moon and planets.  You can adjust it to take just a little bit of brightness away or a lot. 

On 27/01/2023 at 13:48, 123Star said:

Thnx for the tips!

As a fellow norwegian: kikkertspesialisten.no is overpriced. And have a very limited amount of equipment. Even when factoring in costums and transport, other foreign stores usally are cheaper. If you want to support local business that's fine, but my prefered options are 1) firstlightoptics.com, and  2) teleskop-express.de. Both are excellent sites, with good costumer service. FirstLightOptics (FLO) is pretty much always the cheapest of the two, while teleskop-express.de usually have a wider variety of equipment. 

• Like 2

I've also got the heritage 130p.

I use the 25mm which is supplied with the telescope but I replaced the 10mm with an 8mm bst starguider. I bought a 2x Barlow to accompany the eyepieces for a more broader range. Also, a cheshire collimator rather than a laser collimator, I heard to many stories about the laser itself being uncollimated. 

A diy light shroud also helps with contrast as it keeps out any stray light.

The only other thing I have added is a tripod and mount. It's not needed but it means I can set up  and view in a more comfortable position.

My final piece of equipment is stellarium. This is great for finding your way around the sky.

Edited by CHR15
  • Like 2

if i was to start from scratch as you are, first thing i would do if possible, is join an astronomy club.  you can try all types of different gear and have first hand personal advice right away. if there is no astro club, do what your doing but stick to the very basics and dont empty the bank account. i hope you enjoy your new hobby.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...