SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A question on observing

RobertI

I was out last night (see separate report) with the goal of observing objects in Cancer. I had a pre-planned list and it worked really well. Except....... because I was exploring a single constellation, with a variety of object types, I was switching eyepieces quite frequently. 10mm and 17mm for clusters, and zoom with/without barlow for double and carbon stars. The result was that I dropped an eyepiece - always the danger when 'fiddling'. The alternative is to stick to an object type (eg: open clusters), and choose a single appropriate eyepiece (eg: medium power or zoom), cruising multiple constellations for that object type if required, but this is a bit more difficult to plan, in my opinion.

When Leo is better placed, I can have the best of both worlds, so many galaxies in one constellation!

What are people's thoughts? How do you observe?

• Like 4

My most used EP is the Baader zoom mk4, which allows it to go from been 24mm all the way down to 8mm, so not many times that I swap around other EP’s when viewing multiple different targets. Depending on which scope I use too this works pretty well in all of my scopes. Only times I use any different EP’s are if I am doing high magnification lunar or planetary viewing.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

I suppose the problem of a dropped eyepiece depends on the surface.
My sessions may be from the observatory (gym mat flooring)  or the garden (grass).
No impact damage.

If you are on a hard surface, can you put out an old rug, or gym mat, or something similar?

I think that we have enough obstacles put in the way of viewing without having to restrict eyepiece choice.

HTH, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 1

The more experienced I've got the fewer targets I go for in sessions and the fewer eyepieces I use in sessions, and the more time I spend just looking and thinking about what Im looking at. I'll quite often stick to one eyepiece in a session, often it will be only 2, and very rarely more than 3.

Some views may be less than ideal, for example last night I was looking at a few dsos at medium magnification, but then stopped on Castor for a bit. I didn't bother changing eyepieces for a better view at higher magnification.

I've got  Baader Mk4 zoom but I'll only use that as a space saver if travelling, I prefer fixed eyepieces if possible.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paz said:

The more experienced I've got the fewer targets I go for in sessions and the fewer eyepieces I use in sessions, and the more time I spend just looking and thinking about what Im looking at. I'll quite often stick to one eyepiece in a session, often it will be only 2, and very rarely more than 3.

Some views may be less than ideal, for example last night I was looking at a few dsos at medium magnification, but then stopped on Castor for a bit. I didn't bother changing eyepieces for a better view at higher magnification.

I do much the same, sometimes only one EP even though I have a case full.
The old adage of less is more applies for me.
The same applies to targets, sometimes its not many at all, amazing what pops out with good old obeserving over a period.

• Like 3

I don't have a zoom, but I usually rotate among a widefield 15mm, 10mm, and 6mm with most of my scopes.  I am trying to figure out what to buy for a single, dedicated EP for my little 50/250 ultimate grab-n-go refractor - maybe a widefield 8mm.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1