Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Goto mount for Starfield 102 mm f7 refractor.

Grump Martian

I have been enjoying using my Starfield refractor on a manual alt/az mount. But finding objects in the night sky by following stars has become quite differcult. This is due to light polluted skies. I did have an AZ GTi mount. This was a good mount, but for the payload specified.But not sure that with a fully loaded 100 mm refractor would work well. That really leaves EQ mounts. I have never really got on with EQ mounts. Could this really be me not fully understanding them or giving them a chance. Perhaps rushing the setup.What mounts do others use for their 100 mm refractors?

I am only interested in visual observing.

Edited by Grump Martian
Spelling

3 hours ago, Grump Martian said:

I have been enjoying using my Starfield refractor on a manual alt/az mount. But finding objects in the night sky by following stars has become quite differcult. This is due to light polluted skies. I did have an AZ GTi mount. This was a good mount, but for the payload specified.But not sure that with a fully loaded 100 mm refractor would work well. That really leaves EQ mounts. I have never really got on with EQ mounts. Could this really be me not fully understanding them or giving them a chance. Perhaps rushing the setup.What mounts do others use for their 100 mm refractors?

I am only interested in visual observing.

I understand completely, GM. Oddly enough, I was also looking at the Starfield, initially as a grab&go and eventually to replace my 8" dob - I'm gradually getting more feeble as I age. I also concluded that a go-to would be very useful given the LP where I live (I can see the main stars in Ursa Major and Orion but not much else). The obvious mount choice is a SW AzGti but the Starfield is only 0.8 kg below its weight limit and by the time you've added a diagonal and finder, probably over it. I was thinking about the AZGTiX as it'll take a kilo more and can also accommodate two scopes. If anyone has another recommendation, I'm sure both of us would love to know!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I understand completely, GM. Oddly enough, I was also looking at the Starfield, initially as a grab&go and eventually to replace my 8" dob - I'm gradually getting more feeble as I age. I also concluded that a go-to would be very useful given the LP where I live (I can see the main stars in Ursa Major and Orion but not much else). The obvious mount choice is a SW AzGti but the Starfield is only 0.8 kg below its weight limit and by the time you've added a diagonal and finder, probably over it. I was thinking about the AZGTiX as it'll take a kilo more and can also accommodate two scopes. If anyone has another recommendation, I'm sure both of us would love to know!

I'm not sure the the AZ GTi would suite a longer tube length 4 inch refractor. Perhaps a Skywatcher EQ 5

I wanted to stick to an alt/az. It's what I've always used since I started astronomy and I'm comfortable with it. The trouble is, that's difficult to square with a 5+ kg weight scope without spending thousands. The X version has a 6 kg limit on one side (10 kg altogether).

As Mr Spock mentioned, maybe a manual equatorial is what you'll feel more comfortable with, I too don't care about goto mounts and have had a great time with a Vixen GP manual mount and my 102. If you are using a decent red dot or optical finder along with a wide field eyepiece you should be able to spot all save for the most faint objects. Another option is an alt-az mount with a higher capacity along with the red dot or optical finder and wide field eyepiece. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Do you really need goto? I use a red dot to get close, then a wide field eyepiece as a finder. My 42mm gives 3.8°, and the inexpensive but excellent 30mm UF 3°.

The scope works great on an EQ5

1253645696_DSC_0147_DxO1200.jpg.5df6e006f91e3db69c8ef22c47515d0e.jpg

DSC_0419_DxO.jpg.4dffde3220ec7fb3761836271932a4db.jpg

Wonderful looking telescope!

I did have a Starfield 102, intending to use it as a grab and go on my AZGTi. I felt it was a no go, not just because it came in at over 5KG, with the bits, but the length of the tube was to much to my mind. It is a great scope, without a doubt, but not what I wanted so I returned it. ( Thank you FLO! )

I do have another 102mm refractor, a F13.2 Bresser, which is only just over 5KG, but way too long for the AZGTi. I use it on a Skytee II and on my AZ-EQ5GT mount. Both handle it easily, as well as heavier scopes, the AZ-EQ5 does altaz too. I am unsure about how good the goto is on it though, but think I just need more practice. ( It's new. ) It is also rather expensive, when compared to the AZGTi!

I too have thought about the new Skywatcher mount and wonder if the extra KG payload would make it adequate, but I am just unwilling to try it. I suspect the ioptron AZ mount pro would handle it easily, but again is expensive. Not really sure what else there is that is both lightweight and relatively inexpensive.

Which is why I rely on my AZGTi; my C5 and 72EDF. All the grab and go I need. ( For now... :grin: )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an AZGTi but despite others stating they use their 4" f7 refractors with the mount I was not convinced after a couple of tries.

Looking around for an alternative mount for the 4" I considered the Ioptron AZ Pro or one of the Skywatcher AZ-EQs, but not wanting to spend up to £1500 on an infrequently used item I settled for a secondhand Celestron AVX. £600 off Ebay and eighteen months later still OK. Equatorial mounts are a bit more of a faff but the 4" is only around a 1/3rd the weight capacity of the AVX and rock solid on the mount. The goto works and the tracking is marvelous.

I tend to save the AVX for those nights I'm going to be out for a few hours and astronomy camps. Shorter sessions I pop the refractor onto the Skywatcher AZ5 (not the greatest match but it works).

The new AZGTI-X looks promising but I'll wait for first adopters' reviews.

1941223180_IMG_20210809_2335339802.thumb.jpg.990feea24655761aa6b4f6fecdaf09b0.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I now have the AZ GTiX (people keep confusing it with the standard GTi). Even with a 2" diagonal, 6x30 finder and an EP, my Starfield comes in at only 5.2kg - the X version has a one-side 6kilo limit. I've bought a Baader Vixen clamp/counterweight combo which I'll use if the mount seems like it's straining (total weight limit of 10kg).

I'd love to tell you how it's going but I'm STILL waiting for Berlebach to send my tripod! 😡

• Like 1

Despite the obvious love for the alt/az mounts I found my Starfield was great on an EQ5 pro go to mount. It handles the weight easily. I am now on my second Starfield and this time went for the EQ5 with the Enhanced dual motor kit. Again this works great but I’m now looking to upgrade to full go to with the upgrade package.

• 2 weeks later...

My TS 102 (starfield equivalent) sits comfortably on the azgti. Of course a beefier mount would be welcome, but for a GnG it gets the job done. A second of vibration, but generally manageable. I am guessing the azgtix will be even better.