Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 with Google Pixel 6 Pro

Stu

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

This gave me the incentive to buy a refurbished Pixel 6 pro. I’ve still to try it in earnest though. I could swear I already posted here about this and I can’t even find the post in my history. Senility creeping in perhaps!

Good stuff, hope you get some good results from it.

16 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Can’t you just put a piece of tape over the wide field camera leaving the 50MP one to capture the image?

Oops, when I said widefield camera I kinda meant the "main" camera. I guess I used that because the pixel6 pro has a telephoto periscope camera so the main cam is very widefield in comparison (I think about 6mm FL)

To be honest from my experiments, the actual 0.7x widefield cam is even worse than the main cam. In low light performance the difference is honestly very dramatic.

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2023 at 18:52, Sunshine said:

What? this was done with a cell phone?! I would have done backflips if I had done this with a full on imaging rig! I'm a little knocked over by the result. This is all the convincing I need to get one of these phones used just for this purpose!. Is there one particular google phone that is better than others for this type of work? I will check them out. You say you were using a goto mount, were you tracking? also, is the exposure time set or is that adjustable.

The Google phones currently exel in night time photography although Samsung are catching up ... alas the iphone seems to be a bit behind . i run with a sony 1 iv which basically is a dslr in a phone but the google spits all over it . In fact the google phones have been great at this since series 5 was released . Amazing what software can do . 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

The Google phones currently exel in night time photography although Samsung are catching up ... alas the iphone seems to be a bit behind . i run with a sony 1 iv which basically is a dslr in a phone but the google spits all over it . In fact the google phones have been great at this since series 5 was released . Amazing what software can do . 

Google play nice, no spitting 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

google spits all over it

Granted nightsight can extract detail from extreme darkness and the AP mode is good, but the images from my Sony are far better overall, and no other phone comes close for video. I don't like the auto processing Google phones apply, it makes the images completely unnatural. I also miss my Nokia 9 Pureview, that truly was a DSLR beater when used in manual mode, but not so good in the dark.

• Like 2