NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote imaging setup woes

Looking through the attachments again I still think that this is a simply an IP address issue.

I believe that either

A: both the NUC and the laptop have the same IP address 192.168.0.2

or

B: There is no DHCP service running on the mini router "probably because Smart IP ( DHCP ) is on "

Either one would cause lack of connection between the NUC and the laptop.

My money is on B:

Edited by Kev M

On 08/01/2023 at 19:13, Richard Wesson said:

I use a mini PC at my mount which I remote into in a similar manner to this:

This has worked well with my previous mini-pc (ACE PC Mini OC with Apllollo Lake J3455 CPU). I use the same TP-LINK mini router as in the post above. 

However, at the end of last year I picked upp a used Intel NUC (513myhe) with intel i3. This is where the probelms began. Connecting the mini-router as above I tried to remote in to the NUC. No joy - despite the laptop being able to see the WIFI network created by the router. 

Can you see either computer from each other?  ie open "This PC" and under Network is the NUC listed on the Laptop and vice versa ?

Your Word documents show you have connected the NUC to your home network via cable and the other shows a NUC connection via wifi and using the mini router DNS settings.

So if you connect both laptop & NUC to that hotspot does that allow RCP connection?

I've got your mini router settings in the Word file, but what is the switch on the side set to, I can then duplicate the setup here. I have a NUC and AC750 in the garage and will bring them indoors.

Steve

On 10/01/2023 at 20:57, Richard Wesson said:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : AstroLAN
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::16a:8604:d8a7:2554%7
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b8e0:8b5d:ca2c:8340%16
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.157
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

From the TP Link manual

DHCP Server - Enable or disable the DHCP server. If disabled, you must have another DHCP server within your network or else you must configure the computer manually.

•Start IP Address - Specify an IP address for the DHCP Server to start with when assigning IP addresses. 192.168.0.100 is the default start address.

•End IP Address - Specify an IP address for the DHCP Server to end with when assigning IP addresses. 192.168.0.199 is the default end address.

If by default the TP Link mini-router IP range starts at 0.100, then with IPConfig returning 192.168.0.2 would suggest that in the past the router has been accessed and the IP range has been changed.

Ignore my post asking you to try two cabled connections.  Having looked up the manual for the router I see it has just one LAN port.

13 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Can you see either computer from each other?  ie open "This PC" and under Network is the NUC listed on the Laptop and vice versa ?

The laptop can see the NUC yes. 

I think I may be close to solving this. As suggested by Steviedvd, I connected the NUC aand the laptop to the wifi of the mini router. Suddently, the LAN connection on the NUC showed the mini-router was connected! I  retstarted and without wifi, the mini router is still connected. 

Following mac-c's suggestion going into the network listing on the laptop I clicked on the NUC and initiated remote connection. This appears to connect. The only issue I now have, is that when signing in, I get as far as the sign in page and the user states 'other user' and does not recognise the password... 

2 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

I think I may be close to solving this. As suggested by Steviedvd, I connected the NUC aand the laptop to the wifi of the mini router. Suddently, the LAN connection on the NUC showed the mini-router was connected! I  retstarted and without wifi, the mini router is still connected. 

So with the NUC connected to the mini router via wireless, and the laptop connected via wireless to the mini-router,  both machines join the same network and you can get to the login credentials when trying to RDC into the NUC.  But, with the NUC connected to the mini-router via cable the NUC was not accessible ?

7 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

Following mac-c's suggestion going into the network listing on the laptop I clicked on the NUC and initiated remote connection. This appears to connect. The only issue I now have, is that when signing in, I get as far as the sign in page and the user states 'other user' and does not recognise the password... 

I think this may need to either be the admin account, or set up a guess account on the NUC and try using the same credentials when RDC from the laptop.

2 minutes ago, malc-c said:

I think this may need to either be the admin account, or set up a guess account on the NUC and try using the same credentials when RDC from the laptop.

Yes - have reset the password on the NUC, but still dont seem to be able to log-in. I am thinking I am going to completely reinstall windows and set up the machine again. I may go back to using my old mini-pc. I had this idea that the NUC may be more efficient/faster etc but that does not seem to be the case. 

13 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

Did the NUCs IP address change from 192.168.0.2 ?

14 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

I thought this worked before when you had it connected to your wifi router ?

3 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Did the NUCs IP address change from 192.168.0.2 ?

I thought this worked before when you had it connected to your wifi router ?

I was connecting using teamviewer not rdp. Have not been able to get teamviewer to connect via the mini-router to the NUC, although it will to the old minipc. I suspecct something is borked in the iniitial set up so am going to star afresh. 

51 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

I was connecting using teamviewer not rdp. Have not been able to get teamviewer to connect via the mini-router to the NUC, although it will to the old minipc. I suspect something is borked in the initial set up so am going to star afresh. 

I think you need to install a TeamViewer app on the Nuc to let TeamViewer connections. That's why I was suggesting using RDC, as the client is on basic Window OS but the Remote Desktop is only on Pro version and has to be enabled.  If you set up the old mini pc did you or someone else add TeamViewer to it? It's one of the things scammers get victims to install so they can get access😮

13 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

I think you need to install a TeamViewer app on the Nuc to let TeamViewer connections. That's why I was suggesting using RDC, as the client is on basic Window OS but the Remote Desktop is only on Pro version and has to be enabled.  If you set up the old mini pc did you or someone else add TeamViewer to it? It's one of the things scammers get victims to install so they can get access😮

The NUC has the teamviewer app install - that is why I cam connect via teamviwer over my home WiFi as stated before. I installed teamviewer myself on all machines. I do not let other people install software for me, especially not somebody who has contacted me online....

13 hours ago, Richard Wesson said:

The NUC has the teamviewer app install - that is why I cam connect via teamviwer over my home WiFi as stated before. I installed teamviewer myself on all machines. I do not let other people install software for me, especially not somebody who has contacted me online....

Sorry if my post seemed to imply anything unintended. It was just to emphasise that permissions were needed on the NUC and you may have been helped by another astro friend last time and missed a step out on the NUC.

Reading the AC750 leaflet it says the network port is set for a WAN connection to another router when set in Access Point mode (switch set to AP/Rng Ext/Client).

So does having both NUC/Laptop connected via wifi to the min router now work? If you want the NUC connected via ethernet cable the mode may need to be changed.

6 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Sorry if my post seemed to imply anything unintended. It was just to emphasise that permissions were needed on the NUC and you may have been helped by another astro friend last time and missed a step out on the NUC.

Reading the AC750 leaflet it says the network port is set for a WAN connection to another router when set in Access Point mode (switch set to AP/Rng Ext/Client).

So does having both NUC/Laptop connected via wifi to the min router now work? If you want the NUC connected via ethernet cable the mode may need to be changed.

No problem at all. I have reinstalled windows as their seem to be an issue with credentials singing in via RDP - it kept telling me password not recognised and showing login as  'other user'. I am now pleased to say that I can now control the NUC from laptop via the mini-router with no internet connectivity required. 

Thank you everybody for your help!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

No problem at all. I have reinstalled windows as their seem to be an issue with credentials singing in via RDP - it kept telling me password not recognised and showing login as  'other user'. I am now pleased to say that I can now control the NUC from laptop via the mini-router with no internet connectivity required. 

Thank you everybody for your help!

Just for the sake of anyone with a similar problem can you just list the working setup.  A long thread like this needs a summary of the success.

For example

• AC750 in Access Point mode.
  • NUC connected by Lan cable to AC750
  • Laptop connected by wifi to AC750
  • NUC running Win11 Remote Desktop enabled

As suggested by StevieDVD here is a summary of my issue and the solution. 

The issue:

TP-link tl-wr802n portable router was used in access mode to create a wifi network without internet connection. This had previously been used with a mini-pc (ACE-PC AK2). I could then access the mini-pc in headless mode using RDP or Teamviewer, with the connection between portable router and mini pc using LAN. I purposely wanted access without innternet connectivity to be able to use it at remote sites. 

However, when I attempted this with a recently purchased second hand NUC (NUC513 MYHE), the NUC did not connect properly over LAN showing NO NETWORK. LAN was working as evidenced by ability to access log in page of router and ability to connect to home router which was connected to internet. 

My solution

• Ensure that Remote Desktop is enabled
  • Connect wirelessly from the NUC to the portable router.
  • Doing the latter now shows the NUC as connected to the portable router via LAN and it is possible to connect to the NUC using RDP via the network created by the poetable router without an internet connection necessary. 

1 hour ago, Richard Wesson said:

As suggested by StevieDVD here is a summary of my issue and the solution. 

The issue:

TP-link tl-wr802n portable router was used in access mode to create a wifi network without internet connection. This had previously been used with a mini-pc (ACE-PC AK2). I could then access the mini-pc in headless mode using RDP or Teamviewer, with the connection between portable router and mini pc using LAN. I purposely wanted access without innternet connectivity to be able to use it at remote sites. 

However, when I attempted this with a recently purchased second hand NUC (NUC513 MYHE), the NUC did not connect properly over LAN showing NO NETWORK. LAN was working as evidenced by ability to access log in page of router and ability to connect to home router which was connected to internet. 

My solution

• Ensure that Remote Desktop is enabled
  • Connect wirelessly from the NUC to the portable router.
  • Doing the latter now shows the NUC as connected to the portable router via LAN and it is possible to connect to the NUC using RDP via the network created by the poetable router without an internet connection necessary. 

This is nuts !

i can think of no reason why this would be the resolution and I've been an it person for quite a while now..

Maybe something else also got flipped while setting it up but... This confuses me very much. 

Anyone got an explanation ?