Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Remote imaging setup woes

2 minutes ago, knobby said:

Run ipconfig -all in the CMD prompt on the new NUC and the old mini pc to see if there is any difference .

Yes as I mentioned before and to find if it has Remote Desktop installed. Of course this needs a screen/keyboard connected to the NUC to do that!

Not sure but if the laptop is connected via wi-fi, to the ini-router, would the arp -a command show the NUC mac address/ip no allocated (the mac-address is hopefully on the NUC box label).  Then he can try a ping and see if it gets a proper reply - to test the network card/cable.

Edited by StevieDvd

4 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Not sure but if the laptop is connected via wi-fi, to the ini-router, would the arp -a command show the NUC mac address/ip no allocated (the mac-address is hopefully on the NUC box label).  Then he can try a ping and see if it gets a proper reply - to test the network card/cable.

Given the mini router connects to other mini computer via the same cable we can rule that out. Also, the NUC connects via lan to my home router - I did this to rule out the network card. 

So to summarise:

• Your NUC connected to the home network via cable and was assigned 192.168.1.133 (LAN to wifi router.rtf)
  • Your NUC connected to the mini-router network via wifi and was assigned 192.168.0.2 (Lan to mini router.rtf)

What do you get on your laptop when you connect to the wifi TP-Link_716E?

• Using ipconfig in cmd
  • ANd the netwok properties for the wifi adapter

And on the NUC if Remote Desktop is enabled can you check the connection name it has and use that to try a remote connection from your laptop. On your other laptop use the WIn Key + R and enter 'mstsc.exe' that's the Remote Desktop Connection app to check if it connects.

I'm not 100% sure of the working of the Smart IP option I'd have used DHCP and your settings. You may be able to open up to allow 192.168.1.x devices if those settings are changed.

Looking at the "LAN to mini router pdf" 

The IP address shown is that for the NUC wired LAN connection to the mini-router but it also seems to be connected to the wifi to the plusnet router at the same time ?

Edited by Kev M

3 hours ago, Richard Wesson said:

Yes of course. As stated before - it is not an issue with the previous mini pc. 

Hook up a mouse, keyboard and monitor to your old mini computer, confirm it all works in the same manor before you replaced it for the new NUC PC.  Then launch a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /all at the prompt and note down the settings reported.  Then repeat this with the NUC - are there any differences other than the last set of digits of the IP4 address ?  If the subnet mask and gateway IP's are the same then try setting the network properties for the NUC to manual and enter the IP, subnet and gateway that the old PC used and see if that works when you connect the laptop to the same router's wifi.  

One other thing to try.... If you connect the old mini PC to the same router as the NUC using a cable connection (ie so both are hard wired) and confirm that the file and print sharing is set on both machines, can you see and RDC between then both ?  Or if you used a cable connection between the laptop and NUC can you RDC to the NUC from the Laptop ?

2 hours ago, Kev M said:

I would still think connecting to both ethernet LAN and wifi at the same time may cause issues

No that's perfectly acceptable, did it all the time at work. And even now I connect to a Rpi/Asiair wirelessly and my  home network. That's why we need to see ipconfig details to see which connections are being made on each adapter.

8 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

No that's perfectly acceptable, did it all the time at work. And even now I connect to a Rpi/Asiair wirelessly and my  home network. That's why we need to see ipconfig details to see which connections are being made on each adapter.

Not sure about a NUC using both......however I am assuming the USB adapter can easily be unplugged.

However .''as mentioned.... definitely need to check the IP address of the laptop when connecting to the portable router via wifi

1 hour ago, Kev M said:

Not sure about a NUC using both......however I am assuming the USB adapter can easily be unplugged.

However .''as mentioned.... definitely need to check the IP address of the laptop when connecting to the portable router via wifi

We need the details of the NUC and what network settings/adapters it has configured.  Also, the NUC has to allow external remote connections either by activating Remote Desktop or for example adding a TeamViewer client (that also needs activating).

I don't think we have asked about the NUC being new or pre-used. If it was used before it may have the network settings manually set.

The other thing to try is to connect both (the NUC and the laptop) on the home network and see if the NUC can be remote accessed. If that does not work it rules out the mini router.

• Like 1

If I am reading this correctly----looking at the attachments that were sent

The NUC can be accessed from the laptop if:

NUC connected via Lan to wifi router---Laptop connected wirelessly to wifi router

NUC connected via wireless to wifi router---Laptop connected wirelessly to wifi router

------------------------------------------

The NUC cannot be accessed from the laptop if:

NUC connected via Lan to portable router---laptop connected wirelessly to portable router

----------------------------------------

IP address for Laptop when connected to portable router needs to be checked to make sure it is not the same as the NUC ip address

3 hours ago, Kev M said:

IP address for Laptop when connected to portable router needs to be checked to make sure it is not the same as the NUC ip address

Kev, that's what we've been asking the OP to confirm. 

I raised this point on the first page when he listed the IP configs for the two routers, which use two different VLans   One  router uses 192.168.0.1  the other 192.168.1.1  - This confused me as the OP stated that the Home LAN wasn't being used, as he simply wanted to connect the NUC to the mini router using a network cable and then connect the Laptop to the mini-routers wifi and be able to remote desktop between the Laptop and the NUC.  In theory if both the Laptop and NUC have their settings set to automatic, and the mini-router has DHCP enabled both computers should be issued with an IP address / subnet mask on the same network.  So we've asked the OP to verify what network properties is reported by both machines, and if the option for file and printer sharing along with RDC has been enabled on both machines.  We've also asked the OP to confirm what version of Windows is running on both machines and there is no option for RDC on Windows 10/ 11 Home editions. 

Once the OP has reported back with this information then we (hopefully) may be able to advise where the issue is.   He seems PC savvy so we might be teaching him to suck eggs, but hopefully between us all we can get him up and running once more with this new NUC in place of his old PC 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Might be tempted to turn off Smart IP ( DHCP ) and configure the DHCP settings manually as well.

Looking at the info that I can see Smart IP ( DHCP ) disables the DHCP server ?

@Richard Wesson

When you get a chance to read thru the updates I think I have an idea what's occurring.

You had a warning 'Network - no connection'  - it may be that your NUC Lan is set to use an ip in the 192.168.1.x  range as it works on your home PC - but would not get an ip assigned when connected to the mini router (192.168.0.x range).

The NUC wifi did get a proper IP so try connecting both the Laptop and the NUC to the wireless TP-Link hotspot and try the remote connect then.  Leave the LAN cable connected between the NUC/mini router so we can get the ipconfig details from it, if needed.

Sorry about the late reply - work gets in the way of things I would rather be doing. To clarify:

'I'd be inclined to factory reset the router .. might be something stuck in the DHCP reservations'

But the mini-router works with the old mini-pc'.

Also, can the NUCopen the router admin page or even ping it's IP address ?

As stated initially the NUC can open the router admin page, hence network adapter is working. 

Also as stated, remote desktop is working. 

Not sure but if the laptop is connected via wi-fi, to the ini-router, would the arp -a command show the NUC mac address/ip no allocated (the mac-address is hopefully on the NUC box label).  Then he can try a ping and see if it gets a proper reply - to test the network card/cable.

running arp-a gives me the following when run from the laptop connnected by wifi to the mini-router (arp -a.png)

We need the details of the NUC and what network settings/adapters it has configured.  Also, the NUC has to allow external remote connections either by activating Remote Desktop or for example adding a TeamViewer client (that also needs activating).

Details of the NUC and network settings were given earlier. Adapter is given as Intel (R) Ethernet connection (3) I218-V

I don't think we have asked about the NUC being new or pre-used.

Pre-used

The other thing to try is to connect both (the NUC and the laptop) on the home network and see if the NUC can be remote accessed. If that does not work it rules out the mini router.

I have done this as stated previously - I can connect to the NUC over the home networkif it is connected by LAN to the network or wifi .
The NUC can be accessed from the laptop if:

NUC connected via Lan to wifi router---Laptop connected wirelessly to wifi router

NUC connected via wireless to wifi router---Laptop connected wirelessly to wifi router

------------------------------------------

The NUC cannot be accessed from the laptop if:

NUC connected via Lan to portable router---laptop connected wirelessly to portable router

----------------------------------------

The above summary is correct. I shall confirm IP address for laptop to portable router later. 

We've also asked the OP to confirm what version of Windows is running on both machines and there is no option for RDC on Windows 10/ 11 Home editions. 

Windows 10 pro as stated previously. 

You had a warning 'Network - no connection'  - it may be that your NUC Lan is set to use an ip in the 192.168.1.x  range as it works on your home PC - but would not get an ip assigned when connected to the mini router (192.168.0.x range).

The NUC wifi did get a proper IP so try connecting both the Laptop and the NUC to the wireless TP-Link hotspot and try the remote connect then.  Leave the LAN cable connected between the NUC/mini router so we can get the ipconfig details from it, if needed.

To do this do I need to change the routers operation mode from access point wireless router?