SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote imaging setup woes

I use a mini PC at my mount which I remote into in a similar manner to this:

This has worked well with my previous mini-pc (ACE PC Mini OC with Apllollo Lake J3455 CPU). I use the same TP-LINK mini router as in the post above. 

However, at the end of last year I picked upp a used Intel NUC (513myhe) with intel i3. This is where the probelms began. Connecting the mini-router as above I tried to remote in to the NUC. No joy - despite the laptop being able to see the WIFI network created by the rouer. The issue appears to be with the NUC. On the previous mini-pic, on examining the conections, the ethernet reported I was indeed connected to the TP link mini router. However, in the case of the NUC it states 'Network - no connection'. Consequently, I decieded to check if the router was set up correctly. I can access the router control panel, so the NUC can obviously see the mini-router, yet the is no ethernet connection. 

Does anybody have any ideas?

Hoever,

2 hours ago, Viktiste said:

What version of windows is on the NUC? Home edition does not support Windows Remote Desktop.

Windows 10 Pro. I am not using RDP in any case, but team viewer. This should not be relevant as the mini router creates a local WiFi network the laptop can connect into. 

2 hours ago, Peter Reader said:

Have you sett up team viewer for LAN?

https://metabust.com/blog/how-to-use-teamviewer-remote-control-over-lan

Static IP?

Nope. The problem is not team viewer - it works perfectly well on the older mini-pc. I did run through the webpage you shared and switch to 'accept' local connections just to check. This make no difference. 

The issue is not with the specific access software, but getting the NUC to see the mini--router as a network. Have tried static IP - no difference and again not needed on old mini-pc. 

I have several thoughts. 

Does enabling the wireless on the nuc disable the wired connection and vice versa? 

Does the router prevent client to client network traffic. There's typically a tick box on the router for this 

If the nuc can't see the 'internet', for a given definition of internet, windows can report no connection and work anyway. I have that when using a corporate vpn. Is there a DHCP, DNS and gateway identified for both the WiFi and wired connection properties ? 

If there isn't a DHCP, DNS or gateway, define the nic as being its own gateway, with its own DNS and set to static IP. 

Is the IP address of the nuc on the same network as the router ?

I think we need more info on the current setup to diagnose this further. 

4 hours ago, skybadger said:

I have several thoughts. 

Does enabling the wireless on the nuc disable the wired connection and vice versa? 

Does the router prevent client to client network traffic. There's typically a tick box on the router for this 

If the nuc can't see the 'internet', for a given definition of internet, windows can report no connection and work anyway. I have that when using a corporate vpn. Is there a DHCP, DNS and gateway identified for both the WiFi and wired connection properties ? 

If there isn't a DHCP, DNS or gateway, define the nic as being its own gateway, with its own DNS and set to static IP. 

Is the IP address of the nuc on the same network as the router ?

I think we need more info on the current setup to diagnose this further. 

Enabling the wireless makes no difference - the NUC does not have a wireless card so I use an external USB dongle. 

'Does the router prevent client to client network traffic. There's typically a tick box on the router for this'

This was ruled out in my original post - plugging the router into my old mini-pc works without any problem and I can connect in this case using Teamviewer/RDP/VNC. Consequently, we can rule out issues with the router settings. 

DNS and DHCP I will check when back home. From memory the IP address on the NUC indicates on same network as router - again on the old mini-pc there are no issues with connection, with it showing LAN as the TP-Link.

What further info do you need?

Have you enabled Remote Desktop on the NUC? It's the computer being connected to that needs this set.

Also, the NUC may have on board wifi.

You state "the NUC can obviously see the mini-router, yet the is no ethernet connection. " - It must have a wired or wireless connection to be able to 'see' the router. Was this done via a browser on the NUC?

If you can connect directly to the NUC and run 'ipconfig'  we can then see what connections it does have.

Remote desktop is enabled, but this should not be relevantshould it as I am connecting via teamviewer. 

There is no built in wifi. This is shown in device manager:

image.png.33226aa1d56f84e51d6fa7ce473c752f.png

'You state "the NUC can obviously see the mini-router, yet the is no ethernet connection. " - It must have a wired or wireless connection to be able to 'see' the router. Was this done via a browser on the NUC?'

The mini-router is connected via LAN (wired). I can get into the control panel of the router via a browser, which is what I mean by 'the NUC can see the mini-router'. 

Running ipconfig gives me where 'wireless LAN adapter wifi 2' is the usb wifi adapter :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : AstroLAN
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::16a:8604:d8a7:2554%7
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b8e0:8b5d:ca2c:8340%16
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.157
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

To aid diagnostics further:

I an connect via LAN from the NUC to my home router which has interne connectivity. The settings etc are shown in the attached document 'LAN to wifi router'.

do not have a LAN network connection to the mini-router. Settings are shown in the document 'Lan to mini router'.

LAN to wifi router.rtf Lan to mini router.rtf

I would disconnect the connection to the home WiFi  by disabling the WiFi adapter. What happens then? I expect the wire lan connection to the portable router to come up. On the one hand you should be able to connect to both networks at once, maybe you need an explicit setting somewhere to enable that. 

16 hours ago, Richard Wesson said:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : AstroLAN
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::16a:8604:d8a7:2554%7
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b8e0:8b5d:ca2c:8340%16
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.157
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

I've not fully read the thread, and I'm a but rusty on my IT skills, but the two devices above are on different Vlans  (networks).  The "AstroLAN" is on what most routers default to, 192.168.0.xxx  but the "Home" network is on 192.168.1.xxx  with its's default gateway being port 254 of that LAN.  Now I could be wrong  but for both routers / hubs to communicate together I would have thought that they either need to be on the same network (ie 192.168.0.xxx) or possibly you need to set up some sort of port forwarding to allow the two devices to communicate.  You may need to turn off DHCP on one device and allocate IP addresses manually on anything connected to that router

Edited by malc-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

I've not fully read the thread, and I'm a but rusty on my IT skills, but the two devices above are on different Vlans  (networks).  The "AstroLAN" is on what most routers default to, 192.168.0.xxx  but the "Home" network is on 192.168.1.xxx  with its's default gateway being port 254 of that LAN.  Now I could be wrong  but for both routers / hubs to communicate together I would have thought that they either need to be on the same network (ie 192.168.0.xxx) or possibly you need to set up some sort of port forwarding to allow the two devices to communicate.  You may need to turn off DHCP on one device and allocate IP addresses manually on anything connected to that router

Malc, I am not trying to get the 2 routers to communicate with each other, but rather use the mini router (TPlink) to create a network not connected to the inetrnet but accessible via my laptop. As stated in the OP, I can do this weith my old mini-pc, but not with the NUC.

From the details posted your laptop has connected to the mini router and been assigned an IP address for that network. 

As the NUC is running Win Pro then enable the Remote Desktop option, that sorted another SGL member yesterday with a similar problem.

Did the older mini pc hae Win Pro and Remote Desktop enabled?

Edited as I read above you do have Win Pro on the NUC

Edited by StevieDvd
A question asked had been answered already.

3 hours ago, Richard Wesson said:

Malc, I am not trying to get the 2 routers to communicate with each other, but rather use the mini router (TPlink) to create a network not connected to the inetrnet but accessible via my laptop. As stated in the OP, I can do this weith my old mini-pc, but not with the NUC.

So If I follow that correctly, you have a NUC PC connected to a TPLInk router which is wireless enabled and a laptop connected to your main router that has normal internet access via its fibre / ADSL connection.  The NUC PC has connected to the TPLink  and as it has DCHP enabled has been issued with its own IP.  As the TPLink router is not on the same network as your home network the  NUC can not be accessed from the laptop, but as it has wi-fi you will see the SSID being broadcast.  You should be able to create a new network on the laptop to connect to the TPLink, but this will then drop the connection to the internet as the TPLink router is not physically connected to the fibre / ADSL. Windows RDC needs to have both the Laptop and the NUC on the same network, it can't RD into a PC on a different VLan.

What is the reason you don't want the NUC to have internet access?  It would be far simpler to remove the TP link router and just connect the NUC to the existing home network and thus have everything singing from the same hymn sheet

26 minutes ago, malc-c said:

So If I follow that correctly, you have a NUC PC connected to a TPLInk router which is wireless enabled and a laptop connected to your main router that has normal internet access via its fibre / ADSL connection.  The NUC PC has connected to the TPLink  and as it has DCHP enabled has been issued with its own IP.  As the TPLink router is not on the same network as your home network the  NUC can not be accessed from the laptop, but as it has wi-fi you will see the SSID being broadcast.  You should be able to create a new network on the laptop to connect to the TPLink, but this will then drop the connection to the internet as the TPLink router is not physically connected to the fibre / ADSL. Windows RDC needs to have both the Laptop and the NUC on the same network, it can't RD into a PC on a different VLan.

What is the reason you don't want the NUC to have internet access?  It would be far simpler to remove the TP link router and just connect the NUC to the existing home network and thus have everything singing from the same hymn sheet

No - that is not correct - the home router is not relevant and I only connect via this because I cannot connect via the mini router! 

As per my OP, and the link I shared, the NUC is connected to the mini-router via a network cable. The mini router should create a wireless network that I can connect to via my laptop, thus accessing the NUC via the laptop. This is what I did with my older mini-pc. The laptop connects to the wifi on the mini router - this is not the issue. The NUC for whatever reason does not  show the network connection to the mini router. 

The reason I did nt want to connect via my home (wifi) router is because I want to set this up so I can access the nuc headless at a remote site. 

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

From the details posted your laptop has connected to the mini router and been assigned an IP address for that network. 

As the NUC is running Win Pro then enable the Remote Desktop option, that sorted another SGL member yesterday with a similar problem.

Did the older mini pc hae Win Pro and Remote Desktop enabled?

Edited as I read above you do have Win Pro on the NUC

To confirm, I do have win 10 pro. 

Remote desktop was not enabled and I have now enabled it:

image.png.1c2755577bd1fc42737181cda15a4054.png

However, LAN to the minirouter still shows  network - no internet and does not state that the network is present to the TP link. 

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

26 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

the NUC is connected to the mini-router via a network cable. The mini router should create a wireless network that I can connect to via my laptop, thus accessing the NUC via the laptop.

Right, so basically you want the NUC and the Laptop to be on the same network, which in theory should work as the mini-router will be using its inbuilt DCHP.   If your mini-router uses 192.168.0.1 as its address, are you able to connect to it from the Laptop once you have created the new network on the laptop if you select a manual  set the IP address with the default gateway to that of the mini-router.  This would then force the laptop to be on the same LAN as the NUC and thus allow you to use RDC to remote into the NUC

42 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

The reason I did nt want to connect via my home (wifi) router is because I want to set this up so I can access the nuc headless at a remote site. 

I assume that both the NUC / mini-router and the laptop will be within range of the wi-fi provided by the mini-router ?