SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

my attempt at M51

iwols

On 02/01/2023 at 03:08, iwols said:

Any comments or suggestions welcome good or bad thanks

1 hour ago, iwols said:

any thoughts

Colour aside, it's more obvious in the second one as its very bright -but it looks like all the detail in the galaxy is gone and replaced with processing artefacts - wibbly wobbly lines / snakes.  Alongside heavy noise reduction it's hard to make out the real detail that might be there.

It would be interesting what the master stack looked like just auto-stretched to compare.  

Apologies if this is a certain style of image you're going for though - in which case ignore the above! :) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

@iwols would you mind posting the stack of the data to see what it looks like, looks like there might be some good potential here

here you go good luck :-}   thanks

masterLight_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-BLUE_Mono.xisfmasterLight_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-GREEN_Mono.xisfmasterLight_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-LUM_Mono.xisfmasterLight_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-RED_Mono.xisf

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi there

I ran some noise reduction and sharpening on the lum layer, and combined the RGB data with noise reduction and increased saturation.

IWOLS-M51.thumb.jpg.175272c41825478dd799b6981fe567de.jpg

thanks that looks well what was your workflow in pi please(what were the exact processes) thanks again

9 hours ago, iwols said:

thanks that looks well what was your workflow in pi please(what were the exact processes) thanks again

Hi, I dont use PI, but have just started using it.  I combined in APP, and then processing in PS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iwols said:

bearing in mind i used about 35 min data for each colour,where do you stop with imaging time?

Good question, its all down to personal preference, some folks are happy with lots of targets with short integration time, others prefers fewer targets with more integration.  It depends on the target too.  I personally aim for at least 8 hours per target, up to 25 hours depending on how faint it is and if narrowband filters are being used etc.

• Like 2

@tooth_dr did well to bring out the blues - something I didn't manage.  This is one other version - no better than anything else in here, just different. 

I resampled the data down and held off strong use of many tools as the data couldn't support them.

The core of M51 is showing detail and the filaments in NGC 5195 look quite defined and natural to my eye (?)

image.png.93aab87bb59746917826ff0ba3977010.png

If there's one thing I've learned in AP, every person likes something different as evidenced by the comments here even!  Whatever you like at the end of processing is the best image 👍

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, geeklee said:

@tooth_dr did well to bring out the blues - something I didn't manage.  This is one other version - no better than anything else in here, just different. 

I resampled the data down and held off strong use of many tools as the data couldn't support them.

The core of M51 is showing detail and the filaments in NGC 5195 look quite defined and natural to my eye (?)

If there's one thing I've learned in AP, every person likes something different as evidenced by the comments here even!  Whatever you like at the end of processing is the best image 👍

Great job there Lee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

thanks lee great job there ,i like it thanks

• Like 1