Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sanity check required on astrophotography spending

On 23/12/2022 at 13:44, Mognet said:

I've been doing a little astrophotography with my old Nikon D3100, but I'm now planning  getting a proper camera. Initially it will be used with my Mak127, and I'll get something with a wider field early next year.

As you are considering widefield, also look at the Samyang lens option instead of a frac. Thats a lot less expensive and at F/2ish a great investment.

The SY135 is so good everyone should have one. You don't even have to pay anywhere near to RRP if you're very patient and buy used, at least that way you can request from the seller star field images.

Edited by Elp

I've been looking at the Samyang 135 F2 as an option as well. The prices look to be £400-£500 new, dependent on mount and seller, which puts it midway between the scopes I was looking at. From what I've seen in the Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2 thread it does have the advantage of not needing a reducer, and I could use it with my existing Nikons or with a dedicated astro camera (depending on whether I need to modify it or I just need adaptors)

3 hours ago, Elp said:

What widefield scopes have you looked at out of interest?

I've not done a huge amount of research so far, but I've looked at a number

These are still in the running for being both affordable and suitable weight/length for my mount:

And a few that are too long or too heavy for the mount (SW AZ-EQ5, max 15kg but I'm not going over 10kg)

A few I had to pass on due to price

There's probably others I should look at too, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it given how often the skies have been clear and dark enough to get out this year

All fine choices from the lack of not reading much if any negative feedback on the list. My first serious scope was the Z61, others have come and gone including the 130pds but the Z61 I think is a lifetime piece due to its portability and being a doublet, you have an element of choice of speed/fov/FL with different flatteners/reducers, something you can't do with a red/space/nightcat.

One of the issues I've found is yes, opportunity is few and far between, so my focus has shifted to speed. So I've expedited everything. Sure you get more detail and less noise with longer integration, at this present time I'm happy just completing an image.

So I'd recommend the Samyang 135mm if it fits your camera mount type, you can save some money if you can find a T2.2 (video) version. At F/T2.8 nothing else will be as fast at the price. Eventually you'll yearn for longer focal length and resolution aperture provides but at that point you'll also have a better focus of what scope you'll want next. My profile pic was taken with one, about 8 hours total.

Edited by Elp

My thinking had been towards a scope rather than the Samyang lens as I might also want to use it for widefield viewing at some point, but I could use the couple of pairs of binoculars here that are waiting refurb/repair instead

52 minutes ago, Elp said:

One of the issues I've found is yes, opportunity is few and far between, so my focus has shifted to speed. So I've expedited everything. Sure you get more detail and less noise with longer integration, at this present time I'm happy just completing an image.

Speed is a bit of an issue here too. I'm in a Bortle 5 area, but also have to deal with neighbours lights, so sometimes have limited opportunity

52 minutes ago, Elp said:

All fine choices from the lack of not reading much if any negative feedback on the list

I'd noticed that where there was feedback it was all positive. The SM 66mm doesn't have any reviews yet though

On 29/12/2022 at 19:26, Mognet said:

I've not done a huge amount of research so far, but I've looked at a number

These are still in the running for being both affordable and suitable weight/length for my mount:

I've not looked at small fracs for a while, but is there a reason why the designers are favouring R&P focusers over Crayfords?  I've always found R&P to be frustrating to achieve fine focus...not a problem if you have a motor holding it in position, but older R&P suffered from backlash and I remember the crayford on the old ED80's being a godsend when it ruled the entry frac market.

I appreciate that you're maybe after a faster scope than the older 80ED, but it's still a cracking option albeit a little slower...and probably available second hand a quite a saving?

24 minutes ago, MG01 said:

I've not looked at small fracs for a while, but is there a reason why the designers are favouring R&P focusers over Crayfords?  I've always found R&P to be frustrating to achieve fine focus...not a problem if you have a motor holding it in position, but older R&P suffered from backlash and I remember the crayford on the old ED80's being a godsend when it ruled the entry frac market.

I appreciate that you're maybe after a faster scope than the older 80ED, but it's still a cracking option albeit a little slower...and probably available second hand a quite a saving?

I guess it has to do with machining precision.

Nowadays these are manufactured on CNC machines with very good precision - so there is no problem with backlash, but on the other hand - Crayfords tend to slip under weight and I guess that is the reason R&P are more popular as far as imaging goes.

Dual speed is achieved the same in both - it is planetary type thing with little balls (friction type bearings) - on shaft itself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

An update to this thread. Bought the ZWO ASI585 a couple of months ago. This week I finally decided on an imaging scope, and went for a William Optics ZS73 It wasn't on my shortlist but it had also been thought about. I'm impressed with the build quality and a quick test on nearby stuff says it's good. Just need some clear skies now for a proper first light with it

That looks to be a very fine refractor Mark! Did you get the field flattener to go with it?

Like you, I've been assembling some kit (ie splurging) but haven't had a single clear night since I got it all some weeks ago. Still, I plan to focus on EAA and the learning curve with ASCOM/EQMOD/SharpCap/Stellarium has been steep, so the cloudy skies have helped me not get too far ahead of myself.

CS

Ant

I didn't get the field flattener, but might need it in future. I'd emailed FLO to ask about it and Alex wasn't sure with this camera. I'm using it with the ZWO ASI585 which has a small sensor so we're adopting a try it and see approach. The stars in the corners might be ok, or they might not. If they're not then I'll get one. With larger sensors the flattener probably would be required