NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars at oppostion - 8 Dec 2022

geoflewis

No, not another image of the occultation, but the following evening, so nice to bookend the day with this one.

Once again it was a fight with clouds, but the seeing was pretty decent when I could actually see Mars. I had to drop my captures to 3 mins as I couldn't run for 6 mins without clouds passing through, indeed some of the 3m SERS got cloud bombed too. I tried without the ADC, but colour dispersion was very apparant, so I put the ADC back in without capturing any bare vids. As @neil phillips previously suggested, I increased my capture rate from 5ms to 3ms, which seems to have worked pretty well. This is best 30% from 3x3m SERs, each separately processed, then de-rotated in WinJupos. The image was resized from 96dpi to 144dpi for display.

2022-12-08-2231_2-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(1-1-2-4)_AFP(144dpi).jpg.8b7b036e81d9d3392da16ce722d7aca6.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 13

It seems you are well over your covid because that's a stunner! The amount of details is fantastic. Seeing must have been pretty good, despite the clouds, to get these captures. I (couldn't)/didn't want to get out last night as I had an early start at 5am this morning but the weather tonight is looking pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Kostas, yes I'm really pleased with this one. I think I may stay at both 3ms and 3min SERs in future, I think that combination is giving cleaner stacks and it doesn't take me long to run a few stacks through Jupos. I'd like a few more images with the Valles Marineris region more central, which will be the case earlier in the evening over the coming nights, though of course tomorrow night is a football night, whether it is clear or not.....🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

That's a terrific capture Geof! I thought seeing looked pretty good and you've taken full advantage despite the clouds! 

Thanks Stuart, one of these days we'll have the combination of good seeing and no clouds - well maybe....🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Kostas, yes I'm really pleased with this one. I think I may stay at both 3ms and 3min SERs in future, I think that combination is giving cleaner stacks and it doesn't take me long to run a few stacks through Jupos. I'd like a few more images with the Valles Marineris region more central, which will be the case earlier in the evening over the coming nights, though of course tomorrow night is a football night, whether it is clear or not.....🤔

Were you managing higher FPS or do you think the lower exposure was 'freezing' the bad seeing? Winjupos is working very well for you. Was there significant improvement from a single stack?

Assuming football is done without extra time, you will be good to go by 10 🤣. Some good games tonight and this weekend.

50 minutes ago, Kon said:

Were you managing higher FPS or do you think the lower exposure was 'freezing' the bad seeing? Winjupos is working very well for you. Was there significant improvement from a single stack?

Assuming football is done without extra time, you will be good to go by 10 🤣. Some good games tonight and this weekend.

A bit of improvement, but pretty marginal, just a tad more sharpening that I could get from the single stack. Here's the best single stack not resized, so with the WinJupos 3 stack (which comes out a bit bigger due to the ROI settings I have there), for comparison, before I took it into Affinity Photo for final tweaks....

2022-12-08-2234_9-GDL-RGB-Mars_lapl4_ap9_P30_sharp90_R6(1-1-1-5-35-70).jpg.d9e7b80d9f147a2c0453477184654e52.jpg2022-12-08-2231_2-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(1-1-2-4).jpg.ef6c415bc80546e1a18f3b3bd9728b42.jpg

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, geoflewis said:

No, not another image of the occultation, but the following evening, so nice to bookend the day with this one.

Once again it was a fight with clouds, but the seeing was pretty decent when I could actually see Mars. I had to drop my captures to 3 mins as I couldn't run for 6 mins without clouds passing through, indeed some of the 3m SERS got cloud bombed too. I tried without the ADC, but colour dispersion was very apparant, so I put the ADC back in without capturing any bare vids. As @neil phillips previously suggested, I increased my capture rate from 5ms to 3ms, which seems to have worked pretty well. This is best 30% from 3x3m SERs, each separately processed, then de-rotated in WinJupos. The image was resized from 96dpi to 144dpi for display.

2022-12-08-2231_2-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(1-1-2-4)_AFP(144dpi).jpg.8b7b036e81d9d3392da16ce722d7aca6.jpg

Thanks for looking

only looking on a small screen. But plenty of sharp detail being seen. Looks very good Geof. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, si@nite said:

Thats a lovely shot Geof some great detail there well done!

1 hour ago, skyhog said:

Excellent. Incredible detail...

Thanks both, I think it's one of my best this year, so I'm very pleased to get that at opposition when 100% phase.